Grant Square is a 1.7-acre park located in the Green Hill neighborhood of Worcester, near Lincoln Street, I-290, and Belmont Street. The park property was acquired in two sections - a smaller portion in 1892, and a larger tract (from private owners) in 1904. The smaller site was originally intended for use as a school house, but after the larger piece was acquired, the two were combined into a single tract for park use. The origin of the park's current name is unknown; it was originally called "St. Charles Park".
In 2016, the Green Hill Neighborhood Association celebrated the official reopening of the park at their Annual Community Picnic. In 2015, the city completed stage one of the park's rehab, installing a state-of-the-art playground, a brand new basketball court and community garden beds.
Grant Square Park has 30 community garden beds where locals can create their very own gardens! Through these gardens, the community can contribute to the beauty and variety of plants in this park.
The garden area next to Mt. Vernon Street has 10 raised beds in addition to a small shed, and is used by the YouthGROW program. The other garden area, near Windsor Street, contains 20 beds for use by neighborhood residents. Each of the beds is wooden and measures 4' by 8'.
View some of the other parks in this district. Get out and explore!
Fairmont Park is located atop Poet Laureate Hill off of Grove Street. It has a playground, half basketball court and a picnic area. This park also features amazing views of downtown Worcester. In addition, Fairmont Park has an amphitheater and occasionally hosts events.
The Korean War Memorial on Worcester Center Boulevard near Washington Station honors the many men who died in the Korean War. A bronze statue of a Korea-era American GI and a Korean child was added later, along with educational signs, additional flagpoles and a Walkway of Honor.
This playground is named after the late Elizabeth "Betty" Price, a woman who led the way for African American women in Worcester. The property consists of two parcels: one initially acquired from Prospect House, Inc. in 1968 and a second parcel acquired by the City in 2000.