ASSISTANT CITY SOLICITOR I
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester is seeking an attorney to join the fast-paced, high-volume collaborative and congenial Law Department as full-time Assistant City Solicitor I to provide competent and timely legal services in the litigation division of the Law Department. This position entails advocating on behalf of the City in civil litigation matters in state and federal courts and includes, but is not limited to conducting legal research, drafting pleadings, motions, memoranda, and outlines of questioning and arguments for hearings and trials in court and administrative agencies. While expertise may be gained in a specialized area of municipal law, the incumbent assumes responsibility for legal matters in any area as assigned by the City Solicitor.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Demonstrated cultural competence to effectively interact, work, and develop meaningful relationships with people of diverse identities, perspectives, and cultural backgrounds.
- Strong learning orientation. Leverages all resources and is creative in ways of learning for self to continue adapting to changing issues and trends.
- Excellent data processing skill in the use of personal computers and office software including word processing, data base internet and spreadsheet applications; Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to research and analyze legal issues in a fast-paced environment and advise how to effectively apply said advice on a practical level.
- Ability to draft and review legal documents; ability to analyze a wide variety of circumstances, conduct investigations and make reports on same.
- Ability to communicate succinctly with elected and appointed Officials, City employees and Department Heads.
- Ability to resolve legal issues in a practical, cost-effective manner.
- Ability to find what applicable laws and regulations apply to a specific matter.
- Ability to represent the city clearly, logically, and persuasively. Interpreting and explaining city, state and federal policy, law, regulation, and court decisions affecting city operations to diverse audiences.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of tact, discretion, and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive, complex, and confidential issues and situations.
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school
- One (1) year prior experience in the practice of civil litigation
- Massachusetts Bar member in good standing
- Valid motor vehicle operator’s license
- Prior municipal law experience
SALARY RANGE: $71,129 -$89,517 annually, full-time, exempt, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter on or before FRIDAY, MAY 12, 2023, to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.