ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER OF ENGINEERINGDEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKSCITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester seeks qualified applicants for the position of Assistant Commissioner of Engineering for managing the functions and the employees within the Engineering Division, a major department of the Department of Public Works & Parks. Under the direction of the Commissioner, the Assistant Commissioner of Engineering is required to perform all similar or related duties and may act in the temporary absence of the department head; has management oversight over the multiple operational sections of the division; is responsible for the planning, development, and implementation of capital improvement programs; evaluates and implementing changes in the division; and monitors and prepares the budget for the division.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to learn and gain a working knowledge of City policies, operating practices, MUTCD, construction standards, and procedures of the department as well as applicable Federal, State, and/or Local laws/regulations
- Knowledge of spreadsheet applications, the Internet and web site in support of department operations, as well as GIS, AutoCAD, and hydraulic modeling software.
- Knowledge of municipal operations, engineering, zoning, ordinances, public purchasing, and consulting services in a municipality.
- Proficient computer skills and utilization of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficient written and verbal communications skills
- Effective supervisory skills
- Ability to make public presentations
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to remain positive and tactfully and effectively resolve concerns of members of the public, and have strong customer service skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with department staff, those doing business in the City, as well as State and/or Federal regulatory authorities.
- Ability to administer an operating budget and financial management practices.
- Ability to prepare cost estimates, specifications, reports, contracts, and review plans and documents.
- Ability to provide technical assistance and professional advice to other City departments and officials, boards, committees, etc.
- Ability to communicate and manage a large group of civil engineering professionals.
- Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering
- Professional Engineering (PE) License
- Seven (7) years of relevant work experience
- Five (5) years of supervisory experience
- Advanced knowledge of civil engineering as well as general knowledge of related fields
- A broad-based knowledge of major municipal function and activities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Master Degree in Civil Engineering
- Five (5) years of experience working closely with the public
- Ten (10) years of relevant work experience
- Ten (10) years of supervisory experience
- Five (5) years of experience with operational municipal budgets
- Five (5) years of experience with GIS, AutoCAD, and hydraulic modeling software
- Five (5) years of experience working with municipal/government, including experience working with municipal boards, commissions, and/or advisory committee.
SALARY RANGE: $97,981 - $150,150 annually, exempt, full-time, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. This posltion is open until filled, preference given to applicants who applied on or before October 6, 2023. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.