STAFF ASSISTANT 1
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS & PARKS
CITY OF WORCESTER
The Department of Public Works & Parks seeks applicants for four (4) Staff Assistant 1 positions within the Administration and Water & Sewer Divisions to perform a range of general administrative and accounting services in support of various management positions and the operations of the Department. The Staff Assistant (1 position) in the Water and Sewer Division will support the Assistant Commissioner of Water and Sewer with administrative tasks and assignments. The Staff Assistants (3 positions) in the Administration and Finance Division will assist with finance and payroll functions including recordkeeping and procurement (encumbering purchase orders) and processing payments. The second position will assist with personnel related functions including the hiring of internal and external applicants. The third position will assist with Customer Service related functions, schedule coordination for management staff and meeting spaces, and preparing reports.
Bilingual and multilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of accounting, office, database software to track, monitor, and reconcile revenues and expenditures
- Knowledge of the common principles and practices of Accounting
- Computer proficiency, including Microsoft office Suite
- Advanced analytical skills; proficient recordkeeping and organizational skills; proficient business mathematical skills
- Proficient customer service skills and ability to interact with members of the public, job applicants, etc.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to multi-task, perform, and prioritize a variety of financial and personnel processes in a detailed and timely manner; ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks in a detailed and timely manner
- Ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse populations, organizations, and interests
- Ability to drive to off-site locations, as needed
- High School diploma
- Three (3) years of related work experience in an office environment performing financial processes, analysis, document management, and/or personnel related functions; OR,
- An equivalent combination of education & experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the required duties of the position will be considered in lieu of the above mentioned requirements.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel) to analyze and reconcile financial data, and other data sets.
- Associate’s Degree in Business/Public Administration, Accounting, Communications, or other related discipline PLUS one (1) year of related work experience in an office environment performing financial processes, analysis, document management and/or personnel related functions
- Experience with processing and/or managing payroll and/or accounts payable
- Experience with ordering and managing inventory and receipts
- Experience generating and reviewing bank reconciliations
- Experience in personnel related functions, including hiring, interviewing, and writing various memorandum
- Experience in report writing
- Experience preparing professional communications
SALARY RANGE: $24.17 - $29.16 hourly, full-time, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Open until filled, applications received on or before FRIDAY, JULY 22, 2022 will receive preference. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.