The City of Worcester is an EEO/AA Employer. Preference is given to Worcester residents.
OFFICE OF THE TREASURER & COLLECTOR OF TAXES
CITY OF WORCESTER
The Office of the Treasurer & Collector of Taxes seeks applicants for a Senior Clerk position. Reporting to the Manager of Taxation and Payroll, this position is responsible for handling inquiries and providing information pertaining to payroll and other disbursements from the Treasurer & Collector’s Office. The Senior Clerk will also execute mail room operations including managing interoffice mail and incoming and outgoing mail to and from multiple sources. Work will involve independent analysis and problem resolution in accordance with departmental and City policies and practices. Duties include:
• Respond to incoming employee and constituent inquiries by phone, email, and in-person.
• Process and research payroll and other disbursement transactions.
• Prepare daily check disbursements, including performing key internal controls.
• Produce and prepare daily jobs and check disbursements such as the mailing of vendor checks, monthly retirement statements and payroll.
• Conduct daily mailroom operations; including sorting and preparing all incoming/outgoing & interoffice mail.
• Manage the Treasury & Collections internal & external mail (this includes running all payroll cycles through mail process as needed/required).
• Maintain and manage all mailroom supplies, including the operation of two automated mailing machines & postage meter.
The successful candidate will possess excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills; will have experience with editing documents in a word processing application and entering data into databases and/or spreadsheets; demonstrated computer proficiency; proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite; excellent telephone skills/etiquette; and ability to provide excellent customer service. The qualified candidate will have the ability to work and learn in a fast paced setting with frequent interruptions; ability to remain professional under all circumstances; ability to work independently and as part of a team; ability to work with diverse groups; ability to manage multiple priorities/multitask in a fast paced environment; ability to perform basic math functions; ability to maintain confidentiality; and ability to prioritize and be organized.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• One (1) year of customer service and/or clerical experience in an office setting.
o An equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job may be considered in lieu of the above requirements.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Prior experience working with Microsoft Office Excel to analyze and/or reconcile financial data.
• Associate’s Degree in business administration, public administration, or related discipline
• Two (2) years of customer service and/or clerical experience in an office setting.
SALARY RANGE: $14.90 - $19.52 hourly, full-time with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Open until filled. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.