DEPUTY SEALER OF WEIGHTS AND MEASURES
DEPARTMENT OF INSPECTIONAL SERVICES
CITY OF WORCESTER
The Department of Inspectional Services seeks to fill the vacancy of Deputy Sealer of Weights and Measures. Under the direct supervision of the Sealer of Weights & Measures, this position carries out independent testing on all weighing and measuring devices, ensuring that they are inspected and sealed from tampering. This position safeguards that commodities purchased through daily transactions are accurate while conducting investigations for violations of consumer protection laws. Reports in both writing and orally to the Sealer of Weights & Measures of inspections made, conditions found, and devices sealed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the Massachusetts General Laws.
- Knowledge of the material in the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
- Knowledge of the appropriate inspection procedures for determining the accuracy of weights and measuring devices.
- Knowledge of proper methods of fuel delivery.
- Knowledge of Avoirdupois, Metric, Troy and Apothecary measurement systems.
- Ability to compute the recognized tolerances of linear measuring devices, taximeters, prepackaged items and scales.
- Ability to apply specifications and standard measurements.
- Ability to test taxi odometer and computation charges; ability to compute the acceptable tolerances of taxis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to write reports.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain sensitive, confidential information, manage and organize complex records.
- Ability to deal appropriately on behalf of the City with department employees, the public as well as local, state and federal officials.
- Ability to multitask in order to complete assignments in a detailed, timely and organized manner.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of basic mathematics, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, ratios, percentages, etc.
- Ability to climb to moderate heights.
- Ability to lift and carry weights up to approximately 50 pounds.
- High School education or GED equivalent supplemented by course work in standards and measurements PLUS Five (5) years of related experience in weights and measures; OR,
o An equivalent combination of education & experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the required duties of the position will be considered in lieu of the above-mentioned requirements.
- Ability to obtain Weights & Measures Certification within one (1) year of employment.
- Worcester residency is required within one (1) year of appointment. The City may waive the Worcester residency requirement per the City Manager’s approval.
- Associate’s Degree in engineering technology, environmental science, public health, or similar field PLUS three (3) years of related experience in weights and measures.
- Certified as a Weights & Measures official.
SALARY RANGE: $24.29- $29.30 hourly, full-time, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. OPEN UNTIL FIILED, applications received prior to or on FRIDAY DECEMBER 23, 2022 will receive preference. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov