CAFETERIA HELPERSCHOOL DEPARTMENTCITY OF WORCESTER
The Worcester Public Schools seeks multiple qualified applicants for a Cafeteria Helper for the School Department. The Cafeteria Helper work involves the performance of a variety of standardized but frequently strenuous tasks in handling, preparing, and serving food for facility clients and personnel and in maintaining the clean and orderly condition of kitchen and dining areas, equipment, and utensils. This positions work may be repetitive or relatively varied but in either case follows standard, well-established procedures or instructions given in advance and is performed under the supervision of a cook.
Bilingual and multilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Wash, peel, mix, slice, grate, shred prepare vegetables.
- Weigh, slice, grind, cube meat and cheese
- Slice butter, bread, and rolls; fill fruit juice and souffle cups; top desserts, slice pies and cakes; count vegetables and fruit.
- Prepare salads and salad dressings, sandwich fillings and sandwiches; reconstitute milk and fruit juices; may assist in preparing soups, dressings, sauces, meat loaves; prepare simple desserts, make toast, grill chicken, cook eggs, make coffee, cocoa, and eggnog.
- Operate, disassemble, clean and polish electrical kitchen equipment, such as mixers, peelers, slicer, dishwashers, and toasters.
- Set up and replenish serving counters and dining tables; plate and serve food from steam tables and counters; fill and wheel food conveyors; assist in setting up special diet trays according to diet lists and individual instructions; wait on client tables.
- Collect, scrape, wash, dry, sort, stack and shelve dishes, trays and eating utensils.
- Sweep crumbs, wash tables, counters, chairs, and benches; clean urns, meat blocks, cooking ranges, steam tables, worktables, refrigerators, sinks; sweeps floors, washes walls, woodwork, closets, and cupboards.
- Assist in receiving, check and distribute food deliveries, cashier.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Working knowledge of the use and care of food service equipment and kitchen utensils.
- Some knowledge of the materials, methods and practices of quantity food preparation and service.
- Some knowledge of health hazards in food preparation and service and of necessary sanitary precautions.
- Ability to maintain cleanliness of person, appearance, and work habits.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform physically strenuous food service tasks requiring considerable lifting, reaching, standing, and walking.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, clients, and facility personnel.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and lift up to 50lbs.
- No previous experience or training required
- Highschool Diploma or equivalent
SALARY: $15.45 hourly, 183 days per year, positions start at 15 to 40 hours per week, with potential overtime opportunities. Paid training certificate programs.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates MUST register on the Civil Service list for Cafeteria Helper. To register, complete a Labor Service Application and submit to the City of Worcester’s Human Resources Department. Applications are available in-person at City Hall & online at www.worcesterma.gov/employment. Completed Labor Service Applications can be submitted in-person to Human Resources; mailed to: City of Worcester, Human Resources Department, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608; emailed: HR@worcesterma.gov; OR, faxed: (508) 799-1040.