The City of Worcester is an EEO/AA Employer. Preference is given to Worcester residents.
PRINCIPAL ASSISTANT ASSESSOR (RESIDENTIAL APPRAISER)
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City Assessor seeks candidates for the position of Principal Assistant Assessor (Residential Appraiser). Under the general direction of the City Assessor, this position manages property inspection schedules, researches relevant market data, executes the 38D Income and Expense mailings and assists with the data entry and analysis of these forms, develops valuation schedules, and prepares documentation for abatement review and appellate proceedings. In addition to appraisal and data collection fieldwork, this position requires expertise in the more complex categories of property valuation, and supervision of residential appraisal staff. The Principal Assistant Assessor conducts research, appraisal development, and reappraisal of apartment and mixed use properties independently; requiring the exercise of prudent appraisal judgment. Creates market rent rates, vacancy factors, and expense ratios on apartment and mixed-use properties. May provide assistance with the assessment and proper account management of tangible Personal Property.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge, understanding, and ability to interpret laws and regulations promulgated by the City and State Department of Revenue.
• Knowledge and understanding of appraisal theory including: highest and best use analysis, economic principles related to real property appraisal, three approaches to value, value reconciliation, and value definitions.
• Knowledge and understanding of descriptive and inferential statistics.
• Knowledge of management information systems, particularly mass appraisal and geographic information systems.
• Ability to handle complex property types with respect to data management and valuation research & development.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to effectively supervise staff and understand roles & responsibilities.
• Ability to use laser measuring devices.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Real Estate Studies, Economics, Business Management, Finance, or related field
• Four years (4) of experience in a role valuating real property, such as appraiser, valuation data manager, real property appraisal aide, or equivalent.
• Two (2) years of prior experience supervising/managing staff.
• Possess an MAA accreditation or similar professional certification (if in process, must have accreditation within one (1) year of start date); OR,
o An equivalent combination of education & experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the required duties of the position will be considered in lieu of the above mentioned requirements.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Master’s Degree in Real Estate Studies, Economics, Business Management, Finance, or related field
• Five (5) years of increasingly responsible roles in assessment administration or a real estate profession such as appraisal, brokerage, banking or property management.
SALARY RANGE: $76,159 - $100,099 annually, full-time, exempt, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Open until filled, applications received on or prior to FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2022 will receive preference. Preference is given to Worcester Residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall Human Resources, 508-799-1030, HR@Worcesterma.gov.