SENIOR TRAFFIC ENGINEER, GRADE V
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION AND MOBILITY
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester seeks applicants for the position of Senior Traffic Engineer, Grade V for the Department of Transportation and Mobility. The position performs professional transportation engineering work related to the design and operation of the public right of way including the safe and efficient movement of pedestrians, bicycles, micro-mobility devices, public transit, and motor vehicles. Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Transportation & Mobility, the position uses independent judgement in planning and carrying out work details in accordance with established policies and standard procedures. The Senior Traffic Engineer, Grade V works in collaboration with a variety of engineering, planning and other staff from the Department of Transportation & Mobility and other departments and outside stakeholders.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of traffic data collection and analysis, traffic control and signal systems, traffic signage and pavement markings, pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure design standards, traffic calming measures, engineering and construction standards and principles.
- Knowledge and experience with best practices in the planning, design and operation of complete streets and facilities servicing all urban transportation modes, including walking, bicycling, micro-mobility modes, transit, and motor vehicles.
- Knowledge and experience applying standards, guidelines and best practices established by organizations such as NACTO, AASHTO, ITE, US & Massachusetts Access Boards, the FHWA, and MassDOT, including the MUTCD with Massachusetts amendments.
- Knowledge of ADA standards and best practices as applicable to transportation networks and public rights-of-way.
- Experience preparing transportation plans, studies, and technical reports.
- Strong technical analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Experience applying transportation analysis software including Synchro, SimTraffic, StreetLight Insight, ArcMap, etc.
- Strong computer skills, including use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Maintain accurate records.
- Work effectively with other departments, agencies, and the public.
- Ability to analyze data and develop reports, analyze, and identify project problems and find solutions, read, evaluate, and interpret plans, specifications, traffic data and related information, represent the city, communicate effectively, and make public presentations.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil/transportation engineering or a directly related field and five (5) years of relevant work experience in transportation engineering, traffic engineering, and/or transportation planning, OR
- Master’s degree in civil/transportation engineering and three (2) years of relevant work experience.
- Massachusetts Registered Professional Civil or Traffic Engineer (P.E.) or ability to obtain it within 6 months of hiring date
- Two (2) years of experience in transportation engineering, traffic engineering, and/or transportation planning
- Two (2) years of experience supervising personnel.
- Two (2) years of project management experience.
- IMSA Traffic Signal Technician Level 1, 2, & 3 Certification
- IMSA Traffic Signal Inspector Certification
- IMSA Traffic Signal Inspector Advanced Technologies Certification
SALARY RANGE: $73,509 - $96,467 annually, full-time, exempt, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. OPEN UNTIL FILLED, preference provided to applicants who applied on or before MAY 19, 2023, Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.