ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF TRANSPORTATION & MOBILITY
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION AND MOBILITY
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester seeks applicants for the position of Assistant Director to assist with leading the newly created Department of Transportation and Mobility. The Assistant Director will be responsible for coordinating and performing work associated with transportation policy, planning, engineering and design. This position will assist in the management of the department and help lead the development and implementation of transportation infrastructure and programs serving Worcester’s residents, businesses and visitors. The Assistant Director works closely with multiple departments and agencies to collect and analyze data, develop policies, prioritize and coordinate transportation improvements, evaluate transportation performance and safety, and track implementation.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and experience with best practices in the planning, design and operation of complete streets and facilities servicing all urban transportation modes, including walking, bicycling, other micromobility modes, transit and motor vehicles.
- Familiarity with local, state and federal transportation planning programs, policies and processes, including grant funding programs.
- Experience preparing transportation plans, studies, and technical reports.
- Knowledge and experience applying standards, guidelines and best practices established by organizations such as NACTO, AASHTO, ITE, the FHWA, and MassDOT.
- Knowledge of ADA standards and best practices as applicable to transportation networks and public rights-of-way.
- Familiarity with traffic control and traffic engineering concepts and fundamentals; construction plans and specifications for streets, sidewalks, and bicycle facilities.
- Proficiency with personal computers and experience using Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint); experience and/or familiarity with ArcMap/ArcGIS, AutoCAD, Via Remix, Synchro or other applicable software desirable but not required.
- Ability to work collaboratively, lead teams and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to oversee and coordinate a transportation work program comprising policy, planning, engineering and design aspects.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and colleagues, staff and officials from other agencies, contractors, the general public, and elected officials.
- Experience in public engagement and stakeholder coordination.
- Ability to address the needs and interests of diverse populations in decision-making.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to attend meetings after regular work hours.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil/transportation engineering, planning, landscape architecture or a related discipline and six (6) years of relevant work experience in transportation engineering, traffic engineering, and/or transportation planning; OR,
- Master’s degree in civil/transportation engineering, planning, landscape architecture or a related discipline and four (4) years of relevant work experience in transportation engineering, traffic engineering, and/or transportation planning.
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Master’s degree in civil/transportation engineering, planning, landscape architecture or a related field.
- Two (2) years of experience supervising personnel.
- Two (2) years of project management experience.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (civil or traffic)
- Other applicable professional certifications or registrations, such as AICP, PTP, PTOE, PLA/ASLA.
SALARY RANGE: $84,904- $98,158 annually, full-time, exempt, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Open until filled, applications received on or prior to FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2022 will receive preference.Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.