The Historical Commission preserves, promotes and develops the historic assets of the city. The Commission reviews alterations proposed to properties that are located in local historic districts and administers the city’s Building Demolition Delay Ordinance.
Commission Profile How to Join
The Worcester Historical Commission, in partnership with Preservation Worcester, has established an annual awards program to recognize outstanding restoration, renovation and development projects that foster historic preservation in the City. Awards will be considered in a variety of categories:
- Residential Rehabilitation - Recognizes excellence in the sensitive preservation or rehabilitation of a privately owned, single-family residence that is owner occupied.
- Commercial Rehabilitation - Recognizes excellence in the preservation or rehabilitation of a commercial building while retaining its historic integrity and character. This category includes adaptive reuse.
- Stewardship - Recognizes an individual or organization that has demonstrated consistent and considerate maintenance of a property, and has shown commitment to its preservation.
- Compatible Construction - Recognizes new construction that is visually compatible in mass, scale and style with historic buildings in the immediate vicinity, and contributes to the preservation of a neighborhood.
- Merit Award - Recognizes preservation work involving other types of structures, such as bridges, monuments, fences, etc., as well as scholarly and educational contributions to the field of historic preservation.
The deadline for nominations is November 1, 2019. Nomination forms are linked below or may be obtained from the Planning & Regulatory Services Division (Room 404 City Hall).
Nomination Packet Past Winners
Meet twice monthly on Thursdays at 5:30 p.m.
Please review the Meeting Schedule for meeting dates and application deadlines.
Date/Time of Next Meeting: Thursday April 25th, 2019
Meeting Agendas & Minutes
Please view the Historical Commission's Local Historic Districts Rules & Regulations
For information on all city permits, licenses and fees, visit Permit Center