Green Hill Park Farm is closed until further notice; city parks and open spaces remain open.
We wish to remind everyone to keep a safe distance (6 feet) between yourself and other people.
The area around Coes Reservoir (commonly referred to as Coes Pond) consists of 20.79 acres of green and blue space that offers four seasons of premier amenities including the region’s first state-of-the-art, universally accessible, multigenerational park and playground. There are approximately 5 miles of walking trails including the East-West Trail that link John J. Binienda Memorial beach, Columbus Park and the heavily used Reed Memorial Rectangular Field and playground.
The area surrounding Coes Pond possesses several significant historical attributes. The former Coes Knife property was home to mills owned and operated by Loring Coes and his brother Aury Gates Coes and built in the late 1800's. The Coes brothers invented and manufactured the world famous monkey wrench and subsequently manufactured highly sophisticated and precisely engineered blades, knives and cheese cutters.
Passing by Coes Pond and the former Coes Knife property along Mill Street is the Major Taylor Bike Trail. Named for Marshall Walter "Major" Taylor, an African-American with strong ties to Worcester, and winner of both the national and world bicycle spring racing championships in 1899.
Want to get involved? The Coes Zone Taskforce provides stewardship of the pond and its environs.
Formerly the site of the Coes Knife factory building, Coes Park is home to the 204-year-old Stearns Tavern and an accessible community playground and a multi-generational park. This park and playground is a place for all ages and abilities to exercise, play, enjoy nature and relax. The park provides recreational opportunities (passive and active), support facilities, ADA accessible walkways, a scenic overlook area, benches, landscape plantings, kiosks and signage. It includes 57 playground features, all of which are accessible. There also is a sledding hill, so you can have fun here all year-round!
Stearns Tavern is one of the oldest structures in the city of Worcester. The Seven Hills Foundation occupies the first floor of the repurposed tavern and operates a café and other workforce training and development programs for individuals with disabilities.
Dedicated in honor of the late State Representative John J. Binienda, Binienda Beach (formerly Coes Pond Beach) includes a bathhouse, swimming area and sandy beach, perfect for family outdoor activities. The beach is located on the western side of Coes Reservoir and serves as the headwaters of the Blackstone River. During the summer months, visitors can rent kayaks, paddle boats and paddle boards. Coes Reservoir is annually stocked with trout and is a favorite fishing spot among the locals. Non-motorized watercraft is allowed and informal launch sites are available at the John Binienda Memorial Beach and at the end of Circuit Avenue North.
Columbus Park is a green space located on the eastern side of Coes Reservoir. The excessively steep slopes throughout the majority of this park limit development opportunities. Due to this geographical feature, the park has been left fairly natural. The "Hillside" beach area is the only generally flat area and is located in the far southwest corner of the park.
The site is located with densely populated residential neighborhoods situated immediately to the south, east and north. Other notable nearby properties include Clark University, Beaver Brook Park, Lakeside Housing Development (WHA property) and Hadwen Arboretum. The Botany Bay residential community is located just to the north of the former Knights of Columbus parcel.
Knights of Columbus offers a small parking area, multi-use field which can be used for playing soccer and other informal or formal field-sports, a picnic area, playground with ADA compliant features, a basketball court and a multi-use pathway that links to the nearby open or green spaces such as Columbus Park, Coes Knife and Coes Pond Beach.
View some of the other parks in this district. Get out and explore!
Ty Cobb Park is located on James Street near the Worcester-Auburn line. This park features two little league baseball fields and a softball field. Ty Cobb Park is the home of Ty Cobb Little League, which was established in 1952, being one of the first three Little Leagues in Worcester.
Bailey-Prouty Playground is located on the very western edge of Worcester, almost on the Paxton/Leicester line. This park features a baseball diamond and a playground. The playground includes a slide, climbing structures, and more! This park is home of John W. Spillane Memorial Field.
Hadwen Park has many winding nature trails, as well as a long, quick-flowing river that runs from Leesville to Curtis Pond. This park also features a baseball diamond, a basketball court, a picnic area and a playground in the north western section. You can escape the urban sights and sounds at Hadwen Park.
Location: 72 Coes Street - Map
Size: 23.2 acres
Parking Lot(s): Yes
Master Plan: View
The Stearns Tavern Moves