The City of Worcester is an EEO/AA Employer. Preference is given to Worcester residents.
LATENT PRINT EXAMINER
WORCESTER POLICE DEPARTMENT
CITY OF WORCESTER
The Worcester Police Department seeks applicants for the position of Latent Print Examiner to assist with a wide range of responsibilities within the Latent Print Unit, accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 by ANSI National Accreditation Board. Under the direct supervision of the Latent Print Unit Laboratory Director, the Latent Print Examiner is responsible for processing evidence with chemicals, lasers and alternate light sources and physical methods in order to develop latent print impressions, analyze latent prints for sufficiency, compare identifiable latent prints to known exemplars, search latent prints with Automated Fingerprint Identification Systems (AFIS) computers, and render expert testimony in court proceedings.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Must have completed coursework in inorganic and organic chemistry and demonstrated knowledge (through college level coursework and/or experience) in forensic evidence handling.
• Experience working with Automated Fingerprint Identification Systems (AFIS) systems.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Highly detail oriented and strong organizational skills
• Demonstrated computer proficiency.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Adobe Photoshop.
• Ability to provide testimony, prepare reports and evidence exhibits (i.e. court charts) required for court proceedings.
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
• Ability to maintain accurate records.
• Ability to analyze and interpret data.
• Ability to develop sound conclusions from research and/or comparisons.
• Ability to complete the Latent Print Unit training and all competency tests within the Forensic Services Section of the Worcester Police Department, accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 by ANSI National Accreditation Board.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Forensic Science, Biology, Bio-Chemistry, or a closely related field, including chemistry and forensic coursework.
• Three (3) years of related professional and internship experience.
• Prior experience in latent print examinations.
• 20/20 corrected vision for far/near distance.
• Satisfy a police background investigation.
• Valid Driver’s License and access to reliable transportation.
• Master’s Degree in Chemistry, Forensic Science, Biology, Bio-Chemistry, or a closely related field.
• Five (5) years of experience in latent print examinations.
• Experience documenting observations, writing reports, preparing evidence exhibits for court and precisely explaining and defending scientific results.
• Knowledge, research and/or experience pertaining to Forensic Science or Crime Scene Investigation.
• Knowledge in Quality Assurance standards.
SALARY RANGE: $66,663.34 - $87,117.34 annually, full-time, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Preference is given to Worcester residents. Open until filled. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.