The City of Worcester is an EEO/AA Employer. Preference is given to Worcester residents.
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS & PARKS
CITY OF WORCESTER
HIRING AND START DATE CONTINGENT UPON COVID-19 EMERGENCY
The Lifeguard is responsible for the public safety and recreational position in guarding bathers at municipal pools and beaches. The position involves responsibility for keeping watch at municipal pools and beaches to prevent bathing accidents, rescue bathers, and enforce departmental rules and regulations. Work is performed under general supervision with through inspections and requires the exercise of initiative and judgment in potentially dangerous and emergent situations. No supervision is exercised over other employees.
The successful candidate will have experience with recreation or competitive swimming; the ability to maintain diplomacy, in the event of anyone creating a disturbance, notify police and supervisor; ability to maintain positive public relations at the aquatic facility; and the physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first-aid. The qualified candidate will also have the ability to be on-time during the scheduled working period; ability to work outside and operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying weather conditions; ability to lift up to 50 lbs.; and the ability to pass CORI/SORI.
• Certification in American Red Cross, YMCA Lifeguard Training or equivalent
• Certification in American Red Cross First Aid or equivalent
• Certification in American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer or equivalent
• Must be at least 16 years of age
• Certification as an American Red Cross-WSI or equivalent
• Certificate in American Red Cross Lifeguard Management or equivalent
• Experience working with youth programs
• Familiarity with American Red Cross Aquatic Programs
• Waterfront Training Module preferred for Beach Guards
SALARY: $16.00 per hour, seasonal, non-benefitted
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment. Preference given to Worcester Residents. Open Until Filled. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall Human Resources, 508-799-1030, HR@Worcesterma.gov.