For Immediate Release: 5/16/2020 3:26 pm
The City of Worcester has released the following COVID-19 update for May 16:
• There are 3,393 confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 in the City of Worcester. This is an increase of 82 cases from Friday, May 15.
• Since April 1, Worcester has seen an increase of 3,213 new cases (average of 70 new cases per day).
• Positive case counts in surrounding towns: Shrewsbury: 252; Holden: 67; Grafton: 71; Leicester: 115. (Millbury: 191 as of Friday, May 15)
• All combined medical facilities of Saint Vincent Hospital and UMass Memorial Health Care had 237 (increase of 2 from Friday) total COVID-positive in-patients and 88 (decrease of 4 from Friday) total COVID-positive ICU patients today. To date, their facilities have had 212 (increase of 4 from Friday) total COVID-related deaths. A total of 272 of their employees have tested positive for the virus.
• The field hospital site at the DCU Center has 17 patients today.
• Quality Inn Census: the state-run facility for COVID-19 positive individuals at the Quality Inn had 14 clients as of Friday. That is no change from Thursday, May 14.
• A total of 18 clients at the City’s temporary homeless shelters have secured more stable housing opportunities or been connected with residential treatment services
• The City will not conduct a media briefing Sunday, May 17. A media release will be issued with the updated numbers. The next City of Worcester COVID-19 media briefing will be held Monday, May 18 at 4:30 p.m. at City Hall (Levi Lincoln Chamber, third floor).