Licence to Carry/Firearm Identification Card
Firearms Basic Safety Course
Upcoming Firearms Basic Safety Course dates are listed below. There is a twenty dollar ($20) charge for residents of the City of Worcester and a thirty-five dollar ($35) charge for non-residents (non-refundable). We accept cash, checks or money orders payable to the City of Worcester (no charge or debit cards accepted). You must register in advance at the Worcester Police Department License Division, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 11:30 a.m., and 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. Space for each course is limited and availability is on a first-come-first served basis.
**** Be Advised ****
Firearms Identification Cards (FID) and License to Carry's (LTC) are processed by appointment only. Please call 508-799-8648 between the hours of 8 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., Monday through Friday to schedule an appointment.
Due to the high volume of new applications, the License Division typically books appointments four months out.
Upcoming Course Dates
Requirements for Application for a License to Carry Firearms
- The applicant must be at least 21 years of age, a resident of the City of Worcester, and a citizen or Permanent Resident Alien.
- The applicant must submit a completed application, and a copy of their Birth Certificate (U.S or Puerto Rico), Naturalization Papers or Permanent Resident Card, whichever is applicable.
- The applicant must submit two (2) typed and signed letters of recommendation. The recommendation must come from a responsible person (NO RELATIVES, no Worcester Police Officers). The letter must state you are a fit person to possess a firearm.
- If you have appeared in court for any criminal offense, or if you were the subject of a 209A Restraining Order, you must obtain and submit copies of police reports, 209A affidavits and court documents.
- When completing your application, pay close attention to Question #5. Please understand that the question "Have you ever appeared in any court as a defendant" includes all adult and juvenile appearances. It does not matter when you appeared or if the charges were Dismissed, Continued Without a Finding or any other disposition. YOU MUST WRITE IT DOWN. YOU ARE SIGNING THE APPLICATION UNDER THE PENALTIES OF PERJURY. YOU CAN BE DENIED A LICENSE AND COULD FACE COURT PROSECUTION FOR PERJURY IF NOT ANSWERED TRUTHFULLY.
- The License Fee is $100 payable by Cash, Check or Money Order (made out to the City of Worcester) (non-refundable).
- Prior to your appointment date, you must attend a State Certified Firearms Safety Course. Courses are available twice a month at the Worcester Police Department. There is a $20 fee for City residents and a $35 fee for non-residents. Payment is due at time of sign up in the License Unit at the Worcester Police Department.
- If you are seeking a License to Carry for employment purposes (armed guard or security work) a letter from your employer typed on company letterhead must accompany your application.
- Applications are processed by APPOINTMENT ONLY on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays. Please call 508-799-8648 between the hours of 8 a.m. - 11 a.m., and 1 p.m. - 2:30 p.m., Monday through Friday to schedule an appointment.
Requirements for Application for a Firearms Identification Card
- A completed application.
- Copy of Birth Certificate or Naturalization Papers. For an FID, the minimum age requirement is 15 years of age and must be accompanied by a legal guardian up until the age of 18.
- Firearms Safety Certificate. Not required for Mace or Chemical Spray.
- Massachusetts Driver's License or Mass ID with current address.
- One-hundred dollar ($100.00) application fee (non-refundable).
- Twenty-five dollar ($25.00) application fee for applicants ages 15 to 17.
Several of your frequently asked questions may be answered by visiting the Firearms Support Services
All Non-Resident and Resident Alien Permits are issued through the Firearms Record Bureau. For more information please call 617-660-4780.
Massachusetts Gun Transaction Portal
Important Notice - Massachusetts law now requires all firearms license holders and gun owners to report all personal sales, transfers and surrenders of firearms through the Massachusetts Gun Transaction Portal. Paper FA-10 forms will no longer be accepted for the above purposes.
MA Gun Portal
Questions about the new Portal should be directed to the Massachusetts Department of Criminal Justice Information Services at 617-660-4782.
Have a Question?
How do I obtain a license to carry a firearm?
Questions regarding obtaining a license to carry a firearm can be best answered by contacting the Worcester Police Department License Bureau at 508-799-8648.
What are the requirements for carrying pepper spray?
The State of Massachusetts no longer requires an FID card to possess pepper spray.
When is the next firearms safety course?
Upcoming Firearms Basic Safety Course dates can be found in the WPD Calendar. The cost for the residents of the City of Worcester is $20 and $35 for non residents (non-refundable). You must register prior to the course at the Worcester Police Department License Bureau. Hours for registration are 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday - Friday. Additional questions can be directed to the License Bureau at 508-799-8648.