For Immediate Release: 5/2/2020 6:24 pm
The City of Worcester has released the following COVID-19 update for May 2:
• There are 2,297 confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 in the City of Worcester. This is an increase of 109 cases from Friday, May 1.
• Since April 1, Worcester has seen an increase of 2,183 new cases (average of 68 new cases per day).
• Positive case counts in surrounding towns: Shrewsbury: 179; Holden: 56; Grafton: 56; Leicester: 97. (Millbury: 150 as of Friday, May 1)
• There are no new cases within the Worcester Police Department and Worcester Fire Department. There are 5 positive cases to date in the Worcester Police Department and 6 positive cases to date in the Worcester Fire Department.
• All combined medical facilities of Saint Vincent Hospital and UMass Memorial Health Care had 280 total COVID-positive in-patients and 105 total COVID-positive ICU patients today. To date, their facilities have had 114 total COVID-related deaths. A total of 183 of their employees have tested positive for the virus.
• Walmart update: A total of 391 employees of the Walmart at 25 Tobias Boland Way were tested for COVID-19 on Thursday, April 30 and Friday, May 1. Of the 391 employees tested this week, a total of 58 tested positive and 333 tested negative. The initial outbreak announced earlier this week had 23 positive employees. Overall, 81 employees have tested positive for COVID-19.
• The homeless shelter at the DCU Center has 19 positive clients today. The field hospital site at the DCU Center has 21 patients (non-homeless) today.
• The next City of Worcester COVID-19 media briefing will be held on Sunday, May 3 at 4:30 p.m. at City Hall (Levi Lincoln Chamber, third floor).