SENIOR ASSISTANT ASSESSOR (PERSONAL PROPERTY)
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester seeks applicants for the position of Senior Assistant Assessor of Personal Property. Under the general direction of the City Assessor, the Senior Assistant Assessor possesses an expertise in the specialized valuation field of tangible personal property. The Senior Assistant Assessor carries out research, develops appraisal schedules, and reappraises tangible personal property assets independently. Other responsibilities include appraisal and data collection field work, with a primary focus on Personal Property. This position requires advanced appraisal skills and exercises prudent appraisal judgement.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Possess an understanding of descriptive as well as inferential statistics and a working knowledge of management information systems, particularly mass appraisal and geographic information systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of the three approaches to value.
- Knowledge & expertise in valuing personal property types.
- General knowledge & understanding of Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 59.
- Familiarity with the abatement process.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to use a laser measuring device.
- Ability to supervise, train, and directly manage the appraisal data management tasks performed by both assistant assessors and clerical staff as it relates to the Assessing Department’s mass appraisal system and geographic information systems as required by the City Assessor.
- Ability to interpret local laws and regulations as promulgated by the City, State, and Department of Revenue.
- Ability to do field work under varying weather conditions.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, real estate, or related field.
- Three (3) years of experience in valuing commercial, industrial, and/or personal properties, OR;
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of the above mentioned requirements.
- Two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- MAA designation OR ability to obtain within two (2) years of appointment.
- IAAO Course 500 or ability to complete course within one (1) year of appointment.
- Valid MA Driver’s License and access to reliable transportation.
- Master’s degree in business, economics, real estate, or a related field.
- Five (5) years of experience valuing commercial, industrial, and/or personal properties.
- Personal Property Specialist designation.
SALARY RANGE: $27.24 - $36.43 hourly, full-time, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Open until filled. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.