ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER OF ENGINEERING
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester, Department of Public Works, seeks qualified applicants for the position of Assistant Commissioner of Engineering to manage the functions and multiple operational sections of the Engineering Division, as well as provide supervision over thirty-five (35) full time employees. The Assistant Commissioner is responsible for planning, developing, and implementing capital improvement programs throughout all operational sections; monitoring and preparing budgets for the division; and managing the City’s street resurfacing program, sewer reconstruction program, private street conversion program, and sidewalk rehabilitation program and other construction or programs related to the City’s rights of way. This position will provide guidance to the Public Works Committee, Traffic and Parking Committee, Planning Board, and Conservation Commission, as needed. The employee is required to perform all similar and/or related duties and may act in the temporary absence of the division head.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Working knowledge of City policies, operating practices, Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), construction standards, and procedures of the department as well as applicable Federal, State, and/or Local laws/regulation.
- Knowledge of the Internet, computer aided design, GIS, AutoCAD, and hydraulic modeling software.
- Proficient computer skills and utilization of Microsoft Office Suite; knowledge of spreadsheet applications.
- Knowledge of municipal operations, engineering, zoning, ordinances, purchasing, and consulting services in a municipality.
- Proficient written and verbal communications skills and ability to make public presentations.
- Proficient customer service skills.
- Effective supervisory skills and ability to communicate and manage a large group of civil engineering professionals.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to remain positive and tactfully and effectively resolve concerns of members of the public.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with department staff, those doing business in the City, as well as State and/or Federal regulatory authorities.
- Ability to provide technical assistance and professional advice to City departments and officials, boards, committees, etc.
- Ability to administer an operating budget and financial management practices.
- Ability to prepare cost estimates, specifications, reports, contracts, and review plans and documents.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Professional Engineering (PE) License.
- Seven to ten (7-10) years of prior relevant work experience.
- Five (5) years of prior supervisory experience.
- Advanced knowledge of civil engineering as well as general knowledge of related fields.
- Broad based knowledge of major municipal functions and activities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Successfully pass CORI check.
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering.
- Experience working closely with the public.
- Prior municipal/government experience including experience working with municipal boards, commissions, and/or advisory committee.
ANNUAL SALARY: $92,581 - $136,366 commensurate with qualifications, full-time, exempt, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Open until filled, applications received on or before FRIDAY, MARCH 18, 2022 will receive preference. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.