The City of Worcester is an EEO/AA Employer. Preference is given to Worcester residents.
ASSISTANT HEAD LIFEGUARD (SEASONAL)
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS & PARKS
CITY OF WORCESTER
The Assistant Head Lifeguard reports directly to the Head Guard and Aquatic Director. The Assistant Head Guard at each facility should be well versed in the rules and regulations governing his/her aquatic facility. He/she aids in drilling the aquatic personnel in lifesaving techniques and ensures that there is adequate coverage at the swimming area at all times. In the event that the Head Lifeguard at a facility is unavailable, or is unable to perform his/her duties, the Assistant Head Lifeguard will act in place, and must be able to maintain professionalism and delegate authority.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skills levels) and provide necessary instruction to youth and co-workers;
• Ability to maintain diplomacy, in the event of anyone creating a disturbance, notify police and supervisor;
• Ability to perform daily routine maintenance of preservation recreation equipment, cleaning of restrooms, emptying of trash barrels and trash removal of program location;
• Experience with recreational and/or competitive swimming;
• Ability to assist youth in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of youth;
• Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first-aid;
• Ability to maintain positive public relations at the aquatic facility;
• Ability to be on-time during the scheduled working period;
• Ability to work outside and operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying weather conditions;
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.;
• Ability to pass CORI/SORI.
• Two (2) years of experience as a Lifeguard
• Certification in American Red Cross, YMCA Lifeguard Training or equivalent
• Certification in American Red Cross First Aid or equivalent
• Certification in American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer or equivalent
• Must be at least 16 years of age
• Certificate in American Red Cross Lifeguard Management or equivalent
• Certification as an American Red Cross-WSI or equivalent
• Experience working with youth programs
• Familiarity with American Red Cross Aquatic Programs
• Waterfront Training Module preferred for Beach Guards
SALARY: $18.25 per hour, seasonal, non-benefitted.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment. DEADLINE: Open Until Filled. Preference is given to Worcester Residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall Human Resources, 508-799-1030, HR@Worcesterma.gov.