ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS & PARKS
CITY OF WORCESTER
The Assistant Director of Civil Engineering will oversee and supervise personnel and engineering related activities within the Department of Public Works and Parks, Engineering Division. The employee will perform related work as required as it relates to public roadway, utility, and infrastructure. This position is responsible for analyzing program objectives, determining the various work operations needed to achieve them, estimating the financial and staff resources required, allocating the available funds and staff, reporting periodically on the achievement and status of the program objective; and recommending new goals.
Bilingual and multilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, and the ability to learn HydroCAD
- Knowledge and general understanding of engineering standards.
- Knowledge of municipal operations, engineering service in a municipality and financial management practices.
- Ability to learn the department’s Standard Specification & Details Manual.
- Ability to learn, understand, and follow written and verbal directions, policies, procedures and instructions.
- Ability to work independently, part of a team, manage staff and maintain professionalism.
- Ability to use digital documents, filing systems, operate standard office equipment
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks in an organized, detailed, and timely manner.
- Ability to work outside in the street on construction sites and work successfully with the public.
- Ability to work with private utility contractors and interpret private utility plans.
- Ability to work with Permit Program Databases and City Utility Records.
- Ability to work with private contractors in navigating City policies and regulations and completing permitting.
- Ability to represent the department in public and at various board and commission meetings.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, work with and preserve confidential files, materials, and other matters.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse populations, organizations, and interests.
- Ability to interpret and follow local, state, and federal regulations/statutes.
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects and competing priorities.
- Excellent customer service skills, as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management, or a related field.
- Five to seven (5-7) years of related work experience OR;
o An equivalent combination of education & experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the required duties of the position will be considered in lieu of the above-mentioned requirements.
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Prior experience working with a Permit Program Database and/or City Utility Records.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite.
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Engineer in Training (EIT)/ Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) certification and Professional Engineering (PE) License.
- Experience in design and construction of public utilities.
- Experience reviewing plans and permit applications.
- Experience working closely with the public.
- Prior municipal/government experience including experience working with municipal boards, commissions, and/or advisory committees.
SALARY RANGE: $84,904 - $111,724 annually, full-time, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. OPEN UNTIL FILLED, applications received prior to or on FRIDAY, JANUARY 6, 2023 will receive preference. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.