TECHNICAL SERVICES DEPARTMENT
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester’s Technical Services department is seeking to fill the position of Software Engineer (Database Developer II). This position is responsible for the design, development, enhancement and support of a broad range of high quality, and secure, custom applications. This position will be instrumental in modernizing the City’s existing portfolio of custom applications and developing new solutions to meet business needs. The engineer will be expected to see products through the entire lifecycle, including business requirement gathering, user interface design, database design, application development, technical and end user documentation, testing, training, support, enhancement and decommission. The engineer will also be expected to support efforts to transition applications and business users from client-based applications to web-based applications, build and leverage API-based integrations, integrate with identity products and ensure that work product consistently aligns with team standards.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders about concepts, ideas, and requirements;
- Ability to work independently and part of a team in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to take initiative and interest in improving existing work techniques and procedures;
- Ability to analyze complex problems, evaluate alternatives and develop creative solutions;
- Understanding of software development lifecycles (SDLC);
- Strong ability to understand the context of code, the codebase and its relation to business objectives;
- Growth mindset and willing to learn new skills, technologies and frameworks;
- Ability to recognize opportunities to leverage existing or off the shelf solutions;
- Ability to deliver solutions that integrate with existing off the shelf technologies;
- Ability to effectively test and ensure the quality of deliverables;
- Ability to determine minimum viable product;
- Ability to support and maintain a variety of MS Visual Studio project types, including: Blazor, asp.net core, WPF, and Winforms.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field;
- Strong proficiency and at least three (3) years of experience developing applications in the C# programming language;
- Three (3) years of experience with SQL and designing and maintaining relational databases; OR,
- An equivalent combination of education & experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the required duties of the position will be considered in lieu of the above-mentioned requirements.
- Proficiency in MS Visual Studio
- Proficiency with SQL Server Management Studio
- Valid Driver’s License and access to reliable transportation
- Experience with MS SQL
- Familiarity with cloud-based development platforms, particularly MS Azure
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- Experience building API’s for internal and external products
- Working knowledge of DevOps and CI/CD principles and practices
- Experience with modern customer/user experience standards and practices
- Experience with wireframes and mockups
- Familiarity with Python and GIS technologies
SALARY RANGE: $73,509 - $96,509 annually, full-time, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter on or before FRIDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2022 to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.