OFFICE OF THE CITY MANAGER
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester seeks qualified applicants for Media Specialist (Principal Staff Assistant) to assist the City Manager’s Office with internal and external communications. The Media Specialist will be responsible for the preparation of external communications, media relations, report development, project management, event coordination, and customer service. Nights and weekends availability may be required for meetings and/or events outside of normal business hours. Other responsibilities include:
- Write City Manager’s communications for City Council items and speaking events;
- Serve as Public Information Officer/respond to all media requests and proactively pitch to media; draft press releases;
- Assist with event coordination and announcements, mailings, e-newsletters, and social media accounts;
- Assist with coordinating City marketing activities, in conjunction with departments and divisions;
- Review, edit, and re-write items, as needed, as received from cabinet and/or division heads;
- Respond to all FOIA requests.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive professional writing skills and excellent verbal communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Knowledge and experience working with various technologies, including; Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative, Photoshop, and social media publishing;
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbally, graphically, and in writing) with diverse audiences;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast paced work environment; ability to meet strict deadlines;
- Ability to use initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines and procedures;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, English, or related discipline;
- Five (5) years of related work experience; OR,
- An equivalent combination of education & experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the required duties of the position will be considered in lieu of the above mentioned requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, English, or related discipline.
- Prior experience developing communications for diverse audiences.
- Prior experience with copywriting, proofreading, and editing.
SALARY RANGE: $61,946.40 - $81,168.98 annually, full-time, exempt, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Open until filled. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.