TRANSPORTATION PROGRAM MANAGER
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION AND MOBILITY
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester seeks applicants for the position of Transportation Program Manager to join the newly created Department of Transportation and Mobility. The Program Manager will be responsible for the coordination of policies, projects and programs to meet the accessibility and mobility needs of Worcester’s residents, businesses and visitors. This position will work closely with multiple departments and agencies to collect and analyze data, develop policies, prioritize and coordinate transportation improvements, evaluate transportation performance and safety, and track implementation. The primary focus of the Program Manager will be concerning the planning, assessment, and conceptual (planning-stage) design of the transportation system with a particular focus on network planning, complete streets and traffic calming. This position is required to attend meetings after regular work hours.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and experience with best practices in the planning, design and operation of complete streets and facilities servicing all urban transportation modes, including walking, bicycling, other micromobility modes, transit and motor vehicles.
- Familiarity with local, state and federal transportation planning programs, policies and processes, including grant funding programs.
- Knowledge and experience applying standards, guidelines and best practices established by organizations such as NACTO, AASHTO, ITE, the FHWA, and MassDOT.
- Experience in public engagement and stakeholder coordination.
- Proficiency with personal computers and experience using Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint); experience and/or familiarity with ArcMap/ArcGIS, AutoCAD, Via Remix, Synchro or other applicable software desirable but not required.
- Ability to work collaboratively, lead teams and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and colleagues, staff and officials from other agencies, contractors, the general public, and elected officials.
- Ability to prepare and deliver presentations to audiences of varying sizes and knowledge.
- Ability to address the needs and interests of diverse populations in decision making.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to attend meetings outside of regular work hours.
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, urban studies, civil/transportation engineering, landscape architecture or a related discipline and four (4) years of relevant work experience; OR,
- A Master’s degree in planning, urban studies, civil/transportation engineering, landscape architecture or a related discipline and two (2) years of relevant work experience will be considered in lieu of the above mentioned requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Master’s degree in planning, urban studies, civil/transportation engineering, landscape architecture or a related discipline.
- Two (2) years of project management experience.
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Applicable professional certifications or registrations, such as AICP, PE, PTP, PTOE, PLA/ASLA.
SALARY RANGE: $76,159 - $84,904 annually, full-time, exempt, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Open until filled, applications received on or prior to FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2022 will receive preference. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.