OFFICE OF THE CITY MANAGER
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester seeks qualified applicants for Communications Officer (Principal Staff Assistant) to assist the City Manager’s Office with internal and external communications. Under the direction of the Chief of Staff, the Communications Officer will be responsible for the preparation of external communications, media relations, report development, project management, event coordination, and customer service. Nights and weekends availability may be required for meetings and/or events outside of normal business hours. Other responsibilities include:
- Prepare internal and external communications, such as staff memos, City Council items, talking points and speeches, press releases/media alerts, articles and editorials, social media and website copy.
- Serve as Public Information Officer responding to all media requests and proactively pitching newsworthy and relevant topics to media, scheduling interviews with press for City Manager and other approved spokespeople
- Work with Public Records Officer on Freedom of Information Act requests as it pertains to media/press
- Work with communications team overseeing event coordination, consisting of press events, groundbreakings, ribbon cuttings, development and grant announcements, digital/social media, marketing initiatives and cultural activities
- Collaborate with Cabinet and Department/Division heads on departmental news and events focused on storytelling and reinforcing the City’s mission/vision and enforcement of brand guidelines
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive professional writing skills and excellent verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Knowledge and experience working with various technologies, including; Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite and social media publishing.
- Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbally, graphically, and in writing) with diverse audiences.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast paced work environment; ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to use initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, English, or related discipline;
- Five (5) years of related work experience; OR,
- o An equivalent combination of education & experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the required duties of the position will be considered in lieu of the above mentioned requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, English, or related discipline.
- Prior experience developing communications for diverse audiences.
- Prior experience with copywriting, proofreading, and editing.
SALARY RANGE: $63,657- $83,402 annually, full-time, exempt, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. OPEN UNTIL FILLED. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.