ASSISTANT TRAFFIC ENGINEER (Grade IV)
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION AND MOBILITY
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester seeks applicants for the position of Assistant Traffic Engineer. Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Transportation & Mobility, the position performs professional traffic engineering work related to the design and operation of the public right of way including the movement of pedestrians, bicycles, micro-mobility devices, public transit, and motor vehicles with an emphasis on the safety and access of vulnerable roadway users. The employee will work in collaboration with a variety of engineering, planning and other staff from the Department of Transportation & Mobility and other departments and stakeholders.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and experience in the application of traffic/transportation engineering principles, objectives, and contemporary best practices.
- Knowledge of National Association of City Transportation (NACTO) design manuals, state and federal accessibility standards and guidance (such as those available from the Massachusetts Architectural Access Board and US Access Board, such as PROWAG), state and federal highway manuals and standards (such as the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Massachusetts Department of Transportation Project Development and Design Guide, and the AASHTO Green Book, for example).
- Understanding of issues and approaches to improve safety for all transportation network users.
- Knowledge of the design, operation, and application of traffic control devices, including signing, pavement markings, traffic calming, and traffic signals.
- Familiarity with traffic signal timing and optimization techniques and principals.
- Familiarity with all urban travel modes, including walking, bicycling, transit, and motor vehicles.
- Familiarity with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards and best practices in designing to accommodate all users.
- Strong technical analysis and problem-solving skills; ability to exercise judgment and creativity in making decisions
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, with the ability to prepare plan drawings for street and transportation infrastructure projects.
- Experience applying transportation analysis software including Synchro, SimTraffic, StreetLight Insight, ArcMap, etc.
- Strong computer skills, including use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Maintain accurate records.
- Ability to analyze data and develop reports, analyze, and identify project problems and find solutions, read, evaluate, and interpret plans, specifications, traffic data and related information, represent the town, communicate effectively, and make public presentations.
- Ability to work effectively with other departments, agencies, and the public.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Transportation Engineering
- Two (2) years of civil/transportation engineering experience; OR,
o An equivalent combination of education & experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the required duties of the position will be considered in lieu of the above-mentioned requirements.
- Master’s Degree in Civil or Transportation Engineering, Planning, or a related field; OR
- Four (4) years of related experience in the practice of transportation/traffic engineering.
- Current E.I.T. certification or Professional Engineers (Civil) License.
SALARY RANGE: $ 33.18– 40.38 hourly, full-time, with an excellent benefit package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter on or before FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2023, to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.