PRINCIPAL ASSISTANT ASSESSOR (COMMERCIAL APPRAISER)
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester seeks qualified candidates for the position of Principal Assistant Assessor (Commercial Appraiser) for the Assessing Division in the Administration and Finance Department. Under the direction of the City Assessor, the position will manage property inspection schedules, research relevant market data, execute 38D Income and Expense mailings and assist with the data entry and analysis of these forms, develop valuation schedules, and prepare documentation for abatement review and Appellate Tax Board proceedings. In addition to appraisal and data collection fieldwork, this position requires expertise in the more complex categories of property valuation, and supervision of Senior and Assistant Assessor staff. The Principal Assistant Assessor will conduct research, appraisal development, and reappraisal of commercial, industrial, apartment, and mixed use properties independently; create market rent, vacancy factors, expense ratios on all income producing properties, and may provide assistance with the assessment and proper account management of tangible Personal Property.
- Act as review appraiser for all commercial, industrial, mixed use, and apartment valuation work performed by Senior Assistant and Assistant Assessors.
- Supervise Senior Assistant Assessors and Assistant Assessors when they are valuing the above property types.
- Supervise, train, and directly manage the appraisal data management tasks performed by Senior Assistant Assessors, Assistant Assessors, and clerical staff for the Division’s mass appraisal system and geographic information systems.
- Manage property inspection schedules and conduct field inspections as needed.
- Research relevant market data.
- Develop fair market rents, capitalization rates, vacancy factors, and expense ratios for each property type valued on the income approach.
- Enter and manage the 38D Income and Expense data into our CAMA system.
- Prepare documentation for abatement review and Appellate Tax Board proceedings.
- Assist with the assessment and proper account management of tangible Personal Property.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge, understanding, and ability to interpret laws and regulations promulgated by the City and State Department of Revenue.
- Knowledge and understanding of appraisal theory including: highest and best use analysis, economic principles related to real property appraisal, three approaches to value, value reconciliation, and value definitions.
- Knowledge and understanding of descriptive and inferential statistics.
- Knowledge of management information systems, particularly mass appraisal and geographic information systems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle complex property types with respect to data management and valuation research & development.
- Ability to effectively supervise staff and understand roles & responsibilities.
- Ability to use laser measuring devices.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Real Estate Studies, Economics, Business Management, Finance, or related field
- Four (4) years of experience in a role valuing commercial, industrial, mixed use, and real property, such as appraiser, valuation data manager, real property appraisal aide, or equivalent
- Experience with staff supervision
- Possess an MAA accreditation or similar professional certification (if in process, must have accreditation within 1 year of start date); OR,
o An equivalent combination of education & experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the required duties of the position will be considered in lieu of the above-mentioned requirements.
- Master’s Degree in Real Estate Studies, Economics, Business Management, Finance, or related field.
- Five (5) years of increasingly responsible roles in assessment administration or a real estate profession such as appraisal, brokerage, banking, or property management.
- Two (2) years of experience with staff supervision
SALARY RANGE: $78,434 - $103,104 annually, full-time, exempt, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Open until filled, applications received on or prior to FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 17, 2023, will receive preference. Preference is given to Worcester Residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall Human Resources, 508-799-1030, HR@Worcesterma.gov.