EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT STAFF ASSISTANT
CITY OF WORCESTER
The Department of Emergency Communications seeks applicants for the position of Emergency Management Staff Assistant (Staff Assistant 3) to provide logistics support for the Division of Emergency Management. This position requires on-call responsibility, which may include work outside of regular working hours and weekends. Must be able to obtain National Incident Management System certification to a level of IS-300 or greater within 12 months of appointment. Responsibilities include:
- Perform and maintain inventory of emergency management supplies;
- Distribute resources when requests are received;
- Assist in the preparation and maintenance of preparedness documentation, plans and response to incidents requiring Emergency Management staff;
- Operate incident support vehicles (trucks, SUV’s, etc.), as assigned, and ensure all equipment and incident support vehicles are checked regularly for expected operation and preventive maintenance.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Possess excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong organizational skills and flexibility
- Demonstrated computer proficiency including proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy; must be self-directed, motivated, and able to complete projects with limited supervision
- Have an interest in and sensitivity toward working with diverse and vulnerable populations
- Have an interest in Emergency Management
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to coordinate and facilitate projects and meetings with partners to effectively accomplish department goals
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; and will have the ability to drive sport utility or pick-up type vehicles with trailers and will be willing to work in an outside environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Emergency Management, Criminal Justice, Business/Public Administration, or related field
- Three (3) years of comparable professional work experience in emergency management, logistics, preparedness, community engagement, or other comparable public safety roles.
- Prior experience working with populations who are vulnerable in disasters
- Prior experience working with municipal, state, and/or federal public safety agencies
- Ability to obtain National Incident Management System (NIMS) certification to a level of IS-300 or greater within twelve (12) months of employment
- Valid MA Driver’s License
- Five (5) years of comparable professional work experience in emergency management, logistics, preparedness, community engagement, or other comparable public safety roles.
- Familiarity with the Incident Command System (ICS)
SALARY RANGE: $28.59 - $34.85 hourly, full-time, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter on or before FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2022 to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.