ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER OF WATER AND SEWER
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS & PARKS
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester, Department of Public Works & Parks is seeking applicants for Assistant Commissioner of Water & Sewer. Position is responsible for managing and overseeing all aspects of the Sewer Operations including Pump Stations, CSO Treatment Facility, Stormwater Management, Sewer and Stormwater Engineering, Sewer System Maintenance, Repair and Residential Drop Off Center; the Reservoir Division; the Water Filtration Facility; Water Distribution Construction, Maintenance, and Water Engineering as well as Environment Services. The Assistant Commissioner prepares budget recommendations, including both capital and maintenance budgets; ensures City and Departmental policies and rules are complied with, and safe and efficient workplace requirements are in compliance.
Bilingual and multilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong working knowledge of water, wastewater, and stormwater laws, rules, and regulations
- Strong knowledge and ability to manage wastewater collection, stormwater system operation, and public water system operation practices, equipment, infrastructure, and terminology
- Thorough knowledge of safe work practices
- Knowledge of preparation and administration of budgets
- Working knowledge of Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS)
- Proficient in computer skills, including the use of iPads, and utilization of Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate to large groups of people and make public presentations
- Proven leadership skills and knowledge of the principles and practices of strong and effective management
- Ability to understand public sector procurement procedures
- Ability to understand hiring and personnel practices
- Ability to communicate with superiors, staff, and City residents/customers
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil, Sanitary, Environmental or Mechanical Engineering or Environmental Science
- Ten (10) years of experience in a public water & sewer system, of which five (5) years must be in a supervisory capacity OR
o An equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job will be considered in lieu of the above mentioned requirements
- Extensive knowledge of pertinent federal, state, local laws, codes, and regulations related to water and sewer
- A broad-based knowledge of major municipal water, sewer, and stormwater function and activities
- Proficient in the use of computers, iPads, and Microsoft Office Suite
- Working knowledge of asset management and CMMS
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Valid Driver’s License
- Master’s Degree in Civil, Sanitary, Environmental, Mechanical Engineering or Environmental Science
- Fifteen (15) years of experience in a public sewer system
- Seven (7) years of experience in a supervisory capacity
- Massachusetts Professional Engineers (PE) License
- Massachusetts Drinking Water Operators License (Grade D4)
- Massachusetts Wastewater Collection System Certification (Grade 4)
- Experience with Lucity or other CMMS
- Experience developing and/or administering municipal budgets
- Experience working closely with the public
- Prior municipal/government experience including experience working with municipal boards, commissions, and/or an advisory committee.
SALARY RANGE: $95,127 - $145,777 annually, commensurate with qualifications. Full-time, exempt, excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. This position will remain open until filled, preference provided to applications received on or before FRIDAY MARCH 17, 2023. Preference given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.