The City of Worcester is an EEO/AA Employer. Preference is given to Worcester residents.
SENIOR ASSISTANT ASSESSOR
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester seeks to fill two Senior Assistant Assessor positions in the Assessing Division. Under the general direction of the City Assessor and the Principal Assistant Assessor, the Senior Assistant Assessor possesses an expertise in the more complex categories of property: apartments, mixed use, residential, commercial, and industrial properties. This role will also include responsibility for the valuation and assessment processes of tangible personal property. Other responsibilities include appraisal and data collection fieldwork for all of the above property classes; conducts research, develops appraisal schedules, and reappraises apartment, mixed use, residential, commercial and industrial properties independently. This position requires advanced appraisal skills and exercises prudent appraisal judgement.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge and understanding of the three approaches to value.
• Knowledge and expertise in valuing complex property types.
• General knowledge and understanding of Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 59.
• Familiarity with the abatement process.
• Understanding of descriptive as well as inferential statistics and a working knowledge of management information systems, particularly mass appraisal and geographic information systems.
• Must be capable of carrying out research, appraisal schedule development, and reappraisal of apartment and mixed use properties independently, including the exercise of prudent appraisal judgment.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to interpret local laws and regulations as promulgated by the City, State, and Department of Revenue.
• Ability to supervise, train, and directly manage the appraisal data management tasks performed by both assistant assessors and clerical staff as it relates to the Assessing Division’s mass appraisal system and geographic information systems as required by the City Assessor.
• Ability to use a laser measuring device.
• Ability to conduct data quality analysis to verify inspection data.
• Ability to do field work under varying weather conditions.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Economics, Real Estate, or related field.
• Three (3) years of experience valuing commercial and/or industrial properties; OR,
o An equivalent combination of education & experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the required duties of the position will be considered in lieu of the above mentioned requirements.
• Two (2) years of supervisory experience.
• MAA designation OR ability to obtain within two (2) years of appointment.
• Valid MA Driver’s License.
• Master’s Degree in Business, Economics, Real Estate or a related field.
• Five (5) years of experience valuing commercial and/or industrial properties.
• Commercial appraisal license.
SALARY RANGE: $68,896 - $83,882 annually, full-time, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Open until filled, applications received on or prior to FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2022 will receive preference. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.