STAFF ASSISTANT 2
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION AND MOBILITY
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester seeks applicants for the position of Staff Assistant 2 to provide administrative support in the newly created Department of Transportation and Mobility. The Staff Assistant will be responsible for a range of administrative, clerical, customer service and financial accounting services supporting the Department. Some responsibilities include:
- Process financial transactions and recordkeeping including procurement (encumbering purchase orders), payments, and payroll; process paperwork to initiate payments for contracted work.
- Assist with monitoring capital finances, borrowing and transfers.
- Assist with grant oversight and receipt preparation to include monitoring programs and submitting reimbursements for various State and Federal grants using appropriate internal and external systems.
- Greet and direct customers and visitors.
- Assist with schedule coordination for management staff and meeting spaces.
- Order and take stock of office supplies, monitor office equipment, and schedule repairs as needed.
Bilingual and multilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience and competence in financial tracking, budgeting and accounting
- Experience providing excellent customer service
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, problem solving skills
- Strong data management skills
- Computer proficiency, including the Microsoft Office Suite & Adobe Acrobat
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with diverse populations, organizations, and interests
- Ability to address questions and customer concerns via telephone, email, and in-person, in a consistently professional and courteous manner
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; ability to complete tasks with limited supervision
- Ability to be adaptable, flexible, detail-oriented, and enthusiastic
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to take initiative to identify opportunities for process improvement or streamlining work
- Ability to quickly learn new software and data management tools
- Bachelors Degree in Business, Accounting, Public Administration, Communications, Legal Studies, Urban Studies, or other related discipline.
- Two (2) years of customer service, clerical, and administrative experience in an office setting.
- Proficient with computers, including proficiency in Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Four (4) years of customer service, clerical, and administrative experience in an office setting
- Previous experience conducting research, querying records, managing data, and/or applying process management
- Previous administrative experience in a public sector office setting.
- Notary public.
SALARY RANGE: $26.74 - $29.67 per hour, full-time, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter on or before FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2022 to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.