TRAFFIC & PARKING COMMITTEE MEETING
JANUARY 8, 2003
Convened: 6:04 PM
Adjourned: 8:33 PM
Present: Councillor Paul P. Clancy Jr., Chairman
Councillor Dennis L. Irish - Arrived 6:37 PM
Councillor Barbara G. Haller
Also: DPW Director of Traffic Engineering Joseph Borbone,
Traffic Engineering Division staff James Pacenka,
WPD Captain Ed Ashe
Assistant City Clerk Lisa M Thomas, clerk
Assistant City Clerk Mary G. Babbidge, clerk
Petitioner Location Date
1. Anastasia Gorenxa Biltmore Rd. #10 CC 9/10/02
2. John Poske 51 Fairfax Rd. #30 CC 9/24/02
Speakers: 1. Jim McGovern, 48 Gibbs St., Worcester
2. John Poske, 44 Fairfax Rd., Worcester
3. Paul Katinas, 46 Fairfax Rd., Worcester
3. Randy Lee Crompton on 21 Clement St. #32 CC 9/24/02
behalf of Betsy Ann Hubbard
4. Sheila Fuller 94 Sterling St. #28 CC 9/24/02
Recommend Approval to install one space in front of 93 Sterling St.
5. Ruth Gain et al on behalf 10 Fern St. #10 CC 10/1/02
of Michael Gain
6. George Ducas on behalf of 85 Fox St. #13 CC 10/8/02
7. Jesus Vazquez 57 Arlington St. #17 CC 10/8/02
Speakers: 1. Isaiah Fisher, 62 Arlington St., Worcester
2. Lena Cohen, 62 Arlington St., Worcester
Chairman’s Order Request the Administration to investigate the number of unregistered vehicles at 57 & 68 Arlington St.
Chairman’s Order Request the Administration to look into current handicapped spaces on even side of Arlington Street to determine whether various original petitioners still live on that street.
8. Leah DeLuca 52 Stockton St. #9 CC 10/22/02
Chairman’s Order Request the Commissioner of Parks and Recreation to install two handicap parking spaces in the neck down adjacent to Greenwood Park across from 52 Stockton St. and further, request the Commissioner to notify Leah Deluca, 52 Stockton St. when this request is considered by the Parks and Recreation Commission.
9. Councillor Philip P. Palmieri 14 Ayrshire Rd. #30 CC 6/11/02
on behalf of Deena Burkhardt
In Committee October 28, 2002 - held
Speaker: 1. Angela Caputo, 15 Ayrshire Rd., Worcester
10. Mayor Timothy P. Murray Probate Court on #14a CC 11/19/02
Harvard St. located
(1 additional space)
11. Petition of Councillor Paul P. Clancy, Jr. request No Parking on even side of Revere St.
#11 CC October 1, 2002
Speakers: 1. Carla Murphy, 136 Derby St., Worcester
2. Nancy Groton, 31 Revere St., Worcester
Chairman’s Order Request that the private portion of Revere St. be made public.
12. Petition of Councillor Paul P. Clancy, Jr. request “No Parking” sign on even side of Revere St.
#10 CC October 22, 2002
13. Report of the Committee on Traffic & Parking Upon the Petition of Madeline Martin et al request No Parking on either side of Northboro St. adjacent to the Super Cleaners (Plantation St.) to the first residential home on the right on Northboro St.
#52 CC November 12, 2002
Recommitted to Traffic & Parking Committee
Speaker: 1. Keith Johnson, 300 Plantation St., Worcester
Recommend Approval to install a no parking zone on the even side of Northboro St. from Plantation St. to 4 Northboro St.
14. Petition of Councillor Paul P. Clancy, Jr. on behalf of Rev. Joseph A. Adamo request No Parking on Dorchester St. from corner of Vernon St. to end of Ascension Rectory.
#11 CC November 19, 2002
Speakers: 1. David Branigan, 50 Vernon St., Worcester
3. George Maple, 50 Vernon St., Worcester
Chairman’s Order Request the Police Chief ensure enforcement of the winter parking ban on Richland St.
Chairman’s Order Request the Director of Traffic Engineering to post “No Parking 20' from corner” in Dorchester Street near the intersection of Dorchester St. and Vernon St.
15. Petition of Charlotte Tremblay request No Parking in front of 27 Halmstad St. – limits egress from my driveway.
#12 CC December 17, 2002
16. Petition of Dolores Skonieczny et al request 24 hour parking on odd numbered side of King Philip Rd. only from Leeds St. to West Boylston St.
#9 CC April 2, 2002
In Committee August 26, 2002 - held
In Committee November 18, 2002 – held
Speakers: 1. Delores Skonieczny, 48 King Philip Rd., Worcester
2. Marion Yagoobian, 48 King Philip Rd., Worcester
17. Petition of Councillor Philip P. Palmieri request 15 minute parking at corner of Plantation St. and Solferino St.
#19a CC November 26, 2002
18. Petition of Mary Babbidge request removal of handicap parking signs from in front of 7-9 Maple Tree Lane.
#19 CC November 12, 2002
19. Petition of Henry G. Krawczynski request handicap parking or no parking signs at 10 Deepdale Rd. (Rear of Norrback School).
#29 CC September 24, 2002
20. Petition of Councillor Stephen G. Abraham on behalf of Syrian and Lebanese American Association of Worcester request the installation of a crosswalk in the vicinity of 104-108 Plantation St. in the interest of public safety.
#24 CC September 24, 2002
21. Petition of Councillor Philip P. Palmieri on behalf of Harlow St. Crime Watch request crosswalks be painted at Norton St. and Duxbury Rd.
#39a CC September 24, 2002
22. Petition of Councillor Stephen T. Patton on behalf of Kendrick Neighborhood Association request crosswalk be painted in vicinity of Brooks St. on West Boylston St.
#21a CC October 8, 2002
23. Petition of Councillor Joseph M. Petty request crosswalk from parking lot on corner of Beacon St. & Madison St. to Registry of Motor Vehicles.
#16 CC October 15, 2002
24. Petition of L.C. Lewyanvoon request removal of at least one parking spot on Salisbury St., at the corner with ex-West St. (on the WPI campus side of Salisbury St. and to the right of West St. coming out of the latter).
#17 CC November 26, 2002
25. Petition of Sue Bonofiglio et al request Children sign on the telephone pole at the corner of Oneida Ave. and Governors St.
#9 CC October 1, 2002
Speaker: 1. Sue Bonofiglio, 21 Oneida Ave., Worcester
Recommend Approval of one “Children” sign to be installed above the dead end street sign.
26. Petition of Milton Rosenberg et al request 20 mph, Children Playing & Thickly Populated signs on both sides of Lovell St. between Chandler St. & Brownell St.
#8 CC October 22, 2002
Recommend Approval of installation of Children Sign on Lovell St. in front of 427 Lovell St. facing southbound traffic.
27. Petition of Tracey Burg et al request “Children Slow” signs with 20 mph suggested speed limit signs along Flagg St. #95-201, Asbury Rd. & Barr St.
#11 CC October 22, 2002
Speaker: 1. Tracy Burg, 16 Asbury Rd., Worcester
2. William Burg, 16 Asbury Rd., Worcester
3. Leonard Price, 12 Asbury Rd., Worcester
4. Lori Pepper, 121 South Flagg St., Worcester
Recommend Approval of installation of Children Signs at the following locations:
On South Flagg St. at Asbury St. facing south bound traffic on South Flagg St.
At 197 South Flagg St. facing north bound traffic on South Flagg St.
On South Flagg St. near 137 South Flagg St. facing north bound traffic
On South Flagg St. between 148 & 152 South Flagg St. facing south bound traffic.
Chairman’s Order Request the Police Chief ensure enforcement of speed regulations in South Flagg St.
28. Petition of Paul Aquino et al request Children sign on Woodman Rd.
#12 CC October 29, 2002
29. Petition of Wendy Normandin et al request caution sign placed on lower end of Kingsbury St. near Bancroft St. to warn drivers of sharp curve at bottom of hill. Also request speed bumps or other traffic slowing device in that area.
#10 CC October 29, 2002
Recommend Approval of installation of one curve-warning sign in front of 50 Kingsbury St. facing west bound traffic on Kingsbury St.
30. Petition of Victoria & Thomas Pellegrino request “Left Turn Must Yield on Green” sign on traffic signal located at intersection of Lake Ave. & Sunderland Rd.
#20 CC November 12, 2002
31. Petition of Linn Allen Morrill request Blind Driveway or Thickly Settled or other signage to slow traffic at 164 Moreland St.
#22 CC November 12, 2002
32. Petition of Mayor Timothy P. Murray on behalf of Timothy M. Kneeland request proper traffic signalization and signage be posted on Cambridge St. in the vicinity of the bridge near Canterbury St.
#14a CC May 2, 2000
33. Report of the Committee on Public Service & Transportation upon the Petition of Martin Israel, Pres. & Treas., Dial Away Co., Inc. request installation of traffic light at the intersection of Main St. and Ludlow St. (Amended to be a request for installation of street lights to traffic light)
#67 CC October 30, 2001
Speaker: 1. Martin Israel, 44 Sun Valley Dr., Worcester
Recommend Approval and add to pending list for funding
COMMUNICATIONS OF THE CITY MANAGER
34. Relative to Handicap Parking Monitor Program.
#14A CM October 29, 2002
35. Relative to Violations Issued for Parking in Handicap Parking Spaces.
#20A CM December 3, 2002
36. Relative to Signage at Handicap Spaces.
#24C CM December 3, 2002
37. Relative to Newspaper Article Concerning Winter Parking Rules.
#24A CM December 3, 2002
38. Relative to Request for List of Streets to be Removed from the Current Winter Parking Ban Policy.
#24B CM December 3, 2002
39. Relative to the Winter Parking Ban.
#33 CC December 10, 2002
Chairman’s Order Request the Administration to report to the City Council concerning signage used in other cities comparable to Worcester signage used for the declared winter parking ban.
40. Relative to Enforce Parking Regulations on Shrewsbury St.
#20E CM December 17, 2002
41. Relative to Parking Lot Licensing Approval Process and the Annual License Renewal Process.
#17B CM October 29, 2002
42. Relative to Number of Citations issued for each of the past three years.
#20E CM October 29, 2002
43. Relative to Speeding Violations on Brooks Street.
#20E CM December 3, 2002
44. Relative to Speed Surveillance Equipment on Dana Ave.
#20A CM December 17, 2002
45. Relative to Enforcement of Speed Regulations on Lake Ave.
#20B CM December 17, 2002
46. Relative to Speed Regulations Fairfax Rd.
#20D CM December 17, 2002
47. Relative to Enforcing Speed Regulations on Prouty Ln.
#20G CM December 17, 2002
47A. Communication relative to the Police Department Emergency Vehicles being unable to pass on King Philip Road.
#20B CM January 8, 2003
48. The Traffic Plan of Proposed Shaws at intersection of Penn Ave. and Grafton St.