NOVEMBER 16, 2004
Convened: 5:36 p.m.
Adjourned: 6:53 p.m.
Present were: Chairperson Councillor Paul P. Clancy, Jr.
Councillor Philip P. Palmieri
Councillor Joseph M. Petty
Councillor Barbara G. Haller
Also: City Manager Michael V. O’Brien
City Solicitor David M. Moore
Budget Director John Pranckevicius
City Assessor Robert J. Allard, Jr.
City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk
1. Communication of the City Manager requesting an Ordinance reorganizing the Departments, Boards and Commissions of the City of Worcester.
#29A CM September 28, 2004
In Committee October 6, 2004 - Held
In Committee October 21, 2004 - Held
In Committee November 9, 2004 – Held
At 5:36 p.m., the Committee reconvened the hearing that was recessed on November 9, 2004. The City Manager addressed the questions of the committee members concerning the overall re-organization plan. The hearing was recessed @ 5:47 p.m. to Tuesday, November 23, 2004 @ 5:30 p.m. in Room 310, City Hall.
2. Communication of the City Manager relative to providing a systematic increase in the number of qualifying taxpayers for Section 51 of the Elderly Exemption.
#4D CM February 11, 2003
In Committee January 27, 2004 – Held
3. Communication of the City Manager relative to abatements for three decker landlords.
#4B CM February 24, 2004
4. Communication of the City Manager relative to abatements for three deckers.
#4A CM April 13, 2004
In Committee May 10, 2004 – Held
5. Communication of the City Manager relative to current real estate tax bill and residential real estate valuation.
#4A CM June 1, 2004
6. Communication of the City Manager relative to Fiscal 2005 property tax bills including notice regarding the obligation of Mass. Residents to register their vehicles in Massachusetts.
#4A CM October 12, 2004
7. Communication of the City Manager relative to 2005 Property Tax Classification.
#4B CM October 12, 2004
8. Communication of the City Manager relative to Fiscal Year 2005 Tax Rate Options.
#4A CM November 9, 2004
In Committee for informational purposes only
Chairman’s Order request the Standing Committee on Rules consider a re-structuring of the Committees of the City Council so that there is an alignment between the Committees and the newly established Departments of the City Manager.
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager to request the Worcester Regional Research Bureau to review the owner-occupied residential exemption statute and the effects of the implementation of the exemption option in various communities across the Commonwealth; i.e. Watertown, Cambridge, Somerville, etc….and provide City Council with observations on this and any other real estate taxing options.
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager to request the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles provide the City of Worcester with motor vehicle registration data for Central Massachusetts communities.
Chairman’s Order request the City Manager to develop a plan to cross-reference motor vehicle registrations with voter registration/census listings utilizing the services of college interns.
Chairman’s Order request the City Council to consider adopting the lowest residential tax rate option for Fiscal Year 2005.