MILITARY AFFAIRS COMMITTEE
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2002
Convened: 6:05 p.m.
Adjourned: 6:37 p.m.
Present were:††††† Chairperson Councillor Juan A. Gomez
†††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Councillor Dennis L. Irish
Also: Veteranís Agent Pierce Gould
††††††††† Members of the Central Mass Veteranís Council
††††††††† City Clerk David J. Rushford, clerk
1.†††††† Relative to Feasibility of a VA Hospital in the City of Worcester.
††††††††† #27A CM April 2, 2002
2. Relative to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
††††††††† #27A CM April 23, 2002
3. Relative to putting wreaths at all Veterans Square Markers around the City for both Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
#27A CM August 20, 2002
1. Request the City Manager provide the City Council with a listing of the veteranís clinics and hospitals located throughout New England.
2. Request the City Manager consider inquiring about the use of Health Foundation of Central Massachusetts and/or Tobacco Settlement funds for providing better health services to the veterans of Central Massachusetts.
3. Request the City Manager provide the City Council with a summary of his October 25th, 2002meeting with Congressman McGovern.
4. Request the Administration add information directing motorists to the Massachusetts Vietnam Veterans Memorial to the various ďstreetscapeĒ type signs in the east, north and south sides of the city.
5. Request the City Manager provide the City Council with information about the health services provided to veterans in the ten largest cities in New England.
6. Request the City Manager inform the City Council of how BAS and BAH are calculated for those city employees on active duty.
7. Request the City Manager inform the City Council on how many city employees are on active duty status.
Chairmanís Resolution that the City Council goes on record urging our Congressional Representative to expend his best efforts towards maintaining and improving upon medical services provided to the veterans of Central Massachusetts.