The area around Coes Resevoir (commonly referred to as Coes Pond) consists of 20.79 acres of green and blue space that offers four seasons of premier amenities including the region’s first state-of-the-art, universally accessible, multigenerational park and playground. There are approximately 5 miles of walking trails including the East-West Trail that link John J. Binienda Memorial beach, the multigenerational and universally accessible park and playground, Columbus Park and the heavily used Reed Memorial Rectangular Field and playground.
The area surrounding Coes Pond possesses several significant historical attributes. The former Coes Knife property was home to mills owned and operated by Loring Coes and his brother Aury Gates Coes and built in the late 1800's. The Coes brothers invented and manufactured the world famous monkey wrench and subsequently manufactured highly sophisticated and precisely engineered blades, knives and cheese cutters.
Passing by Coes Pond and the former Coes Knife property along Mill Street is the Major Taylor Bike Trail. Named for Marshall Walter "Major" Taylor, an African-American with strong ties to Worcester, and winner of both the national and world bicycle spring racing championships in 1899.
Want to get involved? The Coes Zone Taskforce provides stewardship of the pond and its environs.
Dedicated in honor of the late State Representative John J. Binienda, Binienda Beach (formerly Coes Pond Beach) includes a bathhouse, swimming area, and sandy beach perfect for family outdoor activities. The beach is located on Coes Reservoir and serves as the headwaters of the Blackstone River. During the summer months, visitors can rent kayaks, paddle boards and paddle boats. Coes Reservoir is annually stocked with trout and is a favorite fishing spot among the locals. Non-motorized watercraft is allowed and informal launch sites are available at the John Binienda Memorial Beach and at the end of Circuit Avenue North.
Formerly the site of the Coes Knife factory building at 72 Coes St., Coes Park is home to the 204-year-old Stearns Tavern and an accessible community playground and a multi-generational park. The multi-generational park and playground is a place for all ages and abilities to exercise, play, enjoy nature and relax. The playground provides recreational opportunities (passive and active), support facilities, ADA accessible walkways, a scenic overlook area, benches, landscape plantings, kiosks, and signage. It includes 57 playground features, all of which are accessible.
Stearns Tavern is one of the oldest structures in the city of Worcester. The Seven Hills Foundation occupies the first floor of the repurposed tavern and operates a café and other workforce training and development programs for individuals with disabilities.
72 Coes Street
Open from dawn until dusk.