Information for Residents
You can't get Ebola from:
You can only get Ebola from:
- Touching the blood or bodily fluids of a person who is sick with or has died of Ebola.
- Touching contaminated objects, like needles.
- Touching infected animals, their blood or other bodily fluids, or their meat.
There are no confirmed cases of Ebola in Massachusetts.
The outbreak in West Africa is currently limited to Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
In order to be considered to possibly have Ebola, a person must have:
- Recently traveled to Guinea, Liberia or Sierra Leone
- Been in contact with a person who is sick with Ebola
- Show symptoms of Ebola
Early symptoms of Ebola include:
- Fever of 100.4 degrees or higher
- Stomach pain
- Muscle pain
- Unexplained bleeding or bruising
If you think that you or someone you know may be sick with Ebola, call your health care provider for advice and direction.
For more information:
Call us at (508) 799-8531 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How DPH is responding to Ebola in the US:
- Local, regional, state and federal officials are in routine contact with health officials at CDC, who in turn partner with WHO and other global health organizations to ensure that the latest and most up-to-date information about the Ebola outbreak is available to health agencies around the world.
- The Department has been proactively communicating with doctors, EMS providers, local health, hospitals and other health care facilities in Massachusetts to share the latest information on the status of the outbreak.
- We also have provided these partners with clinical guidance on identifying suspect cases of Ebola virus, safely handling lab specimens and appropriate protocols of care for patients - and will continue to provide updated guidance as new information becomes available.
- DPH is committed to working with our local public health and healthcare partners so that our healthcare system is prepared to effectively respond in the extremely unlikely event that a person with symptoms of Ebola virus arrives here.
- Downloadable CDC Flyer on Ebola