Main Street Construction Updates
The information below is subject to change without notice.
AREA #1 - North Main St. - Amorello Construction
- George Street - Main St. to Harvard St. - sidewalk and roadway work has not yet started but is expected to start by the end of August.
AREA #2 - Alpha Graphics - South to Federal Courthouse Federal Sq./Austin St. - Northern Construction & A.F. Amorello Construction
- Continue work at Federal Plaza doing curb install and site lighting.
- Work on sidewalk corners of Myrtle St. and Austin St.
- Install curb and sidewalks from Franklin St. to Southbridge St.
- Place red stamped concrete from Mechanics Hall to Front St.
- Install pedestrian pole bases and street lights on entire project, both sides.
- Maple Street - Main St. to Elm St. - work continues on Maple St., for the sidewalk and roadway. This work is expected to be completed by the end of August.
- Walnut Street - Main St. to Chestnut St. - sidewalk and roadway work has not yet started but is expected to by the end of August.
- Continue work at Federal Plaza doing curb install and site lighting. The Wayfinding sign will be relocated for safe keeping and replaced once the new plaza construction is completed. Additional bollards need to be removed from the proximity of the courthouse to accommodate the work to be done by the State. Concrete barriers will be placed as temporary barriers until permanent barriers can be installed.
AREA #3 - Austin to Chandler St. and 600 ft. or so up Main St. - A.F. Amorello Construction
- A water repair is continuing for a leaking main in the intersection. Both Main St. and Chandler/Madison St. will be partially or completely closed during this repair. May continue through Friday 8/16.
- A.F. Amorello is continuing to install electric infrastructure at this intersection. Once complete, the sidewalk and roadway will be reconstructed. This should continue until the end of September.
AREA #4 - Pleasant St. from Main St. to Linden St. - J.H. Lynch Construction
- No work scheduled, however, there may be other work being done for other utilities in select areas.
AREA #5 - Commercial St. Foster St. to MLK Blvd. - J.H. Lynch Construction
- Substantially complete on Commercial Street.
AREA #6 - Mechanic St. (corner of Main St.)
- Work on Mechanic St. vault #29 paused, anticipated to recommence in approximately 1 week.
- Work will continue until September. No work is expected to take place on weekends.
Main Street Redesign
At a Glance:
- Project start date - Summer 2018
- Project duration - 2 years
- Project cost - $11 million
The City is embarking on a long-overdue $11 million top-to-bottom reconstruction of Main Street. This is not simply a repaving project. We’re building a Main Street that is not just a way to drive from Point A to Point B… but a 21st century Main Street, that embraces modern urban design philosophies, that is built to encourage parking your car and walking to multiple experiences, all throughout downtown. We want downtown to be a destination, not a waypoint, and this new Main Street will deliver on that vision.
Urban Culture Institute
The City of Worcester and its Cultural Coalition are working with the Urban Culture Institute to incorporate placemaking, cultural economic development and the arts into the Main Street Project.
The goal is to create a theme, sense of place, increased walkability, and vibrancy along the Main Street corridor through public art while taking into consideration connectivity between primary public art nodes. The project will incorporate already designed wayfinding elements. Repurposing appropriate materials from elements slated for demolition or removal will be an integral part of the project.
The Institute will work with the public to deliver a more vibrant Main Street.
Urban Culture Institute