Main Street Construction Updates
The information below is subject to change without notice.
AREA #1 - North Main St. - Amorello Construction
- No work scheduled or expected.
AREA #2 - Alpha Graphics - South to Federal Courthouse Federal Sq./Austin St. - Northern Construction & A.F. Amorello Construction
- Continue pouring sidewalks, driveway openings and wheelchair ramps from Pearl St. to George St. westbound side.
- Start to install bollards and chains along westbound side in areas already poured from Pleasant St. to Pearl St.
- Begin removing sidewalk from Thomas St. to Foster St. and install bridges to businesses if necessary.
- Begin installing curb, and fine grade and compact sidewalk area for concrete eastbound side Thomas St. to Foster St.
- Start placing concrete for sidewalks from Thomas St. to Foster St area.
- Vault work at 403 Main St. to begin.
- Erecting the new pedestrian crosswalk poles along West Bound on Main St, and pulling wiring for the new traffic signals.
- Placing red stamped concrete along westbound side of Pearl St. to George St.
- Install conduit on eastbound side of Main St. from Thomas St.
Federal Square - National Grid has disconnected the power to the Square. Demolition is scheduled to begin soon.
AREA #3 - Austin to Chandler St. and 600 ft. or so up Main St.- A.F. Amorello Construction
- Continue with the construction of Main St. from Austin St. to Chandler St.
AREA #4 - Pleasant St. from Main St. to Linden St. - J.H. Lynch Construction
- Monday 6/24 - Setting curb on the south side of Pleasant St. starting at Park Ave and working towards Bellevue St. Excavation crew working from Newbury St. towards West St.
- Tuesday 6/25 - Continue curb on south side of Pleasant St. working towards Bellevue St. Fine grading behind curb crew from Park St. to Bellevue St.
- Wednesday 6/26- Continue curb on south side of Pleasant St. from Bellevue St. towards Russell St.
- Thursday 6/27- Continue curb from Bellevue St. to Russell St.
- Friday 6/28- Continue curb from Bellevue St. to Russell St.
AREA #5 - Commercial St. Foster St. to MLK Blvd. - J.H. Lynch Construction
- Substantially complete on Commercial St.
AREA #6 - Mechanic St. (corner of Main St.)
- Monday 6/24 - Begin civil preparation work on Mechanic St. vault #29.
- Work will continue until September. No work is expected to take place on weekends.
Main Street Redesign
At a Glance:
- Project start date - Summer 2018
- Project duration - 2 years
- Project cost - $11 million
The City is embarking on a long-overdue $11 million top-to-bottom reconstruction of Main Street. This is not simply a repaving project. We’re building a Main Street that is not just a way to drive from Point A to Point B… but a 21st century Main Street, that embraces modern urban design philosophies, that is built to encourage parking your car and walking to multiple experiences, all throughout downtown. We want downtown to be a destination, not a waypoint, and this new Main Street will deliver on that vision.
Urban Culture Institute
The City of Worcester and its Cultural Coalition are working with the Urban Culture Institute to incorporate placemaking, cultural economic development and the arts into the Main Street Project.
The goal is to create a theme, sense of place, increased walkability, and vibrancy along the Main Street corridor through public art while taking into consideration connectivity between primary public art nodes. The project will incorporate already designed wayfinding elements. Repurposing appropriate materials from elements slated for demolition or removal will be an integral part of the project.
The Institute will work with the public to deliver a more vibrant Main Street.
Urban Culture Institute