The City of Worcester is an EEO/AA Employer. Preference is given to Worcester residents.
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester's Inspectional Services Department, seeks applicants for a Building Inspector position. This position is responsible for enforcement of Massachusetts building codes and city zoning ordinances, examining building plans to ensure compliance with state building code (780CMR) and requirements of State Architectural Access Board (521CMR), NFPA (72 & 13) fire protection systems, zoning, and other related laws, regulations, and standards. Work involves judgement in situations that demand immediate corrective action. Some evening work is required.
The qualified candidate will have knowledge of the requirements for building construction, fire prevention, ventilation, and safe egress; computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office Suite; and excellent time management skills. The successful applicant will also have the ability to enforce and interpret laws, codes, and regulations firmly, tactfully, and impartially; to exercise independent judgement and decision making; to demonstrate tact and diplomacy in dealing with the public as well as city employees and officials; to prepare general reports; to maintain accurate records; to work independently; to adapt to varying work & weather conditions; to analyze and evaluate facts; to communicate effectively both written and verbally; to communicate and work effectively with diverse populations; to traverse up and down continuous stair cases and move across difficult and sometimes rugged terrain in adverse weather conditions. The qualified candidate must be a Certified Local Building Inspector, OR have the ability to become certified within eighteen (18) months of appointment, by the Standing Certification Committee of State Board of Building Regulations and Standards in accordance with M.G.L. 143 & 3 and CMR 780, possess a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation.
• Bachelor’s degree in building construction and/or design; OR, Equivalent combination of education & experience
• Five (5) years of experience in the supervision of building construction
• Certified Local Building Inspector, OR ability to become certified within eighteen (18) months of appointment, by the Standing Certification Committee of State Board of Building Regulations and Standards in accordance with M.G.L. 143 & 3 and CMR 780
• Valid MA driver’s license and access to reliable transportation
• Knowledge of state and local regulations, codes, and ordinances, that apply both locally and to Massachusetts State Building Code
• Five (5) to ten (10) years of experience in the supervision of building construction
SALARY RANGE: $23.63 - $33.85 hourly, full-time, excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter on or before FRIDAY, JANUARY 22, 2021 to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Preference given to Worcester Residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall Human Resources, 508-799-1030, HR@Worcesterma.gov.