The City of Worcester is an EEO/AA Employer. Preference is given to Worcester residents.
PRINCIPAL ASSISTANT ASSESSOR
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City Assessor seeks candidates for the position of Principal Assistant Assessor (Residential Appraiser). Under the general direction of the City Assessor, this position manages property inspection schedules, researches relevant market data, develops valuation schedules, and prepares documentation for abatement review and appellate proceedings. In addition to appraisal and data collection field work, this position requires expertise in the more complex categories of property valuation, and supervision of residential appraisal staff. The Principal Assistant Assessor conducts research, appraisal development, and reappraisal of apartment and mixed use properties independently; requiring the exercise of prudent appraisal judgment.
The successful candidate will have the knowledge, understanding, and ability to interpret laws & regulations promulgated by the City and State Department of Revenue; knowledge & understanding of appraisal theory; knowledge & understanding of descriptive and inferential statistics; knowledge of management information systems; the ability to handle complex property types with respect to data management & valuation research/development; the ability to supervise staff and understand roles & responsibilities; strong written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated computer proficiency; and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Bachelor’s degree in real estate studies, economics, business management or finance.
• Five years (5) of experience in a role valuating real property, such as appraiser, valuation data manager, real property appraisal aide, or equivalent.
• Two (2) years of prior experience supervising/managing staff.
• Possess an MAA accreditation or similar professional certification (if in process, must have accreditation within 1 year of start date).
• Equivalent combination of education & experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the required duties of the position.
• Master’s degree in real estate studies, economics, or finance.
• Five (5) years of increasingly responsible roles in assessment administration or a real estate profession such as appraisal, brokerage, banking or property management.
SALARY RANGE: $59,546.18- $78,017.40 annually, full-time, exempt, excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter on or before FRIDAY, JANUARY 29, 2021 to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Preference given to Worcester Residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall Human Resources, 508-799-1030, HR@Worcesterma.gov.