The City of Worcester is an EEO/AA Employer. Preference is given to Worcester residents.
The City of Worcester values the safety of our employees, our residents and our visitors. In accordance with the City of Worcester's Vaccination Verification Policy, if you are selected for any job with the City of Worcester you must be either fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit proof of weekly COVID-19 testing.
SUPERVISOR OF PAYROLL–TAX COMPLIANCE
OFFICE OF THE TREASURER & COLLECTOR OF TAXES
CITY OF WORCESTER
The City of Worcester seeks candidates for the position of Supervisor of Payroll-Tax Compliance. Under the general direction of the Deputy Assistant Treasurer, this position oversees the execution of key internal control procedures on a timely basis to ensure that City payrolls, withholdings and reporting are compliant. This position requires competence with regard to payroll law to assure the timely, valid, accurate issuance of payroll and withholdings in accordance with State and Federal law. The Supervisor of Payroll-Tax Compliance is also responsible for ensuring that all transactions are processed in accordance with the Treasurer and Collector’s policies and procedures and must be promptly and accurately recorded in the City’s books and records. This position oversees the work of one accounting/payroll staff.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Supervisory experience in taxation and payroll;
• Experience with robust, high transaction volume financial systems and ledgers;
• Competence in payroll taxation and laws;
• Strong analytical and organizational skills, accuracy, and detail orientation;
• Strong collaborative and communication (written and verbal) skills;
• Ability to work independently, consistently, and reliably meet established deadlines;
• Ability to perform under pressure and in a fast paced environment;
• Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other employees;
• Ability to read and interpret laws, policies, regulations, and procedures.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Taxation, Business/Public Administration or related field;
• Three to five (3-5) years of related supervisory experience, which includes payroll; OR,
o An equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job will be considered in lieu of the above mentioned requirements.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel, to analyze and reconcile financial data.
• Certified Payroll Professional (CPP), or other accounting related certification.
SALARY RANGE: $57,792.98 - $75,596.31 annually, full-time, exempt, with an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Open until filled. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.