The City of Worcester is an EEO/AA Employer. Preference is given to Worcester residents.
ASSISTANT RECREATION PROGRAM DIRECTOR (SEASONAL)
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS AND PARKS
CITY OF WORCESTER
HIRING AND START DATE CONTINGENT UPON COVID-19 EMERGENCY
The Department of Public Works & Parks seeks candidates for the position of Assistant Recreation Program Director. Under supervision of the Recreation Program Director, this position is responsible for leading, supervising, and conducting activities such as, intermural sports, youth development, educational & teambuilding activities, arts & crafts, and assisting with special events for youth participants between the ages of 6 to 13 years of age. The position will also be responsible for the general safety and development, growth, and skills achievement of the participants in his/her group. Additionally, this position assists the Recreation Program Director and actively participates in all aspects of the program operation.
The successful candidate will have excellent organizational and supervisory skills; basic management and administrative skills; basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite; a valid Massachusetts Driver’s License; the willingness to perform manual labor and work in a variety of weather conditions; the ability work independently and in a group setting; the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public; the ability to lift up to 50 pounds; the ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first-aid; the ability to perform daily routine maintenance of recreation equipment, cleaning of restrooms, & emptying trash/removing waste; and the ability to pass CORI/SORI. The qualified candidate will also have previous work experience with planning recreation programs and leadership to devise and carry out recreation programs that will stimulate and sustain the interest of participants and so challenge and motivate their participation that they may benefit from the physical, psychological, and social values to be derived from recreational activities.
Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
• Currently enrolled in a college/university program with specializations in Recreation Management, Physical Education or related field, OR;
• High School Diploma or GED and two (2) years in a supervisory capacity that demonstrates directing recreation programs, intermural sports activities, or therapeutic recreation may be considered in lieu of the above requirements
• One (1) year in a supervisory capacity that demonstrates directing recreation programs, intermural sports activities, or therapeutic recreation
• Previous supervisory work experience of ten individuals or more
• Experience in planning recreation programs
• Excellent organizational and supervisory skills.
• Willingness to work in a variety of weather conditions
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
• Valid Massachusetts Driver’s License
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must be able to pass CORI/SORI
• First Aid and/or CPR/AED Certification(s)
SALARY: $18.00 per hour, seasonal, non-benefitted
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment. Preference given to Worcester Residents. Open Until Filled. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall Human Resources, 508-799-1030, HR@Worcesterma.gov.