The City of Worcester is an EEO/AA Employer. Preference is given to Worcester residents.
PUBLIC WORKS LABORER/MOTOR EQUIPMENT OPERATOR
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS AND PARKS
CITY OF WORCESTER
The Department of Public Works & Parks seeks applicants interested in the position of Public Works Laborer/Motor Equipment Operator (when assigned). Full-time employment opportunity. Typical hours consist of Monday - Friday from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, but may be required to work any 8 hours in a 24 hour period, and work any 5 days of the week. Employees in this classification are eligible for overtime, and overtime work is often available.
Key features for all Laborers/MEO’s include:
• Work is performed outdoors under varying weather conditions on a year-round basis
• Ability to perform maintenance, repair, and construction work regularly
• Ability to perform manual work requiring considerable strength and endurance on a daily basis
• Ability to understand and follow verbal instructions
• Knowledge on the use of common hand tools
• Assignment to operate equipment is subject to seniority.
• A valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is required as a condition of employment. (Class A or Class B CDL acceptable.)
• Candidates must be able to pass a pre-employment physical, reference check and CORI check
• Subject to pre-employment drug testing. Subject to random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of employment
The starting hourly rate of pay is:
• For Public Works Laborer: $17.19 per hour
• For Sanitation Laborer (when assigned): $18.51 per hour
• For Motor Equipment Operator (when assigned):
o $ 24.04 MEO Grade A
o $ 24.81 MEO Grade B
o $ 26.28 MEO Grade C
o $ 27.14 MEO Grade D
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates MUST register on the Civil Service list for Motor Equipment Operator as soon as possible. To register, complete a Labor Service Application and submit to the City of Worcester’s Human Resources Department by mail, email, or fax. Applications can be found online at www.worcesterma.gov/employment.
Veterans will be given preference when applying for these positions. Proof of possession of a valid and current MA CDL license is required at time of registration. For more information, contact the City’s Department of Human Resources at (508) 799-1030.
Please mail in applications with a valid copy of CDL to:
City of Worcester, Human Resources Department
455 Main Street, Room 109
Worcester, MA 01608
Email: HR@worcesterma.gov; OR, Fax: (508) 799-1040