The City of Worcester is an EEO/AA Employer. Preference is given to Worcester residents.
WATER SAFETY INSTRUCTOR (SEASONAL)
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS & PARKS
CITY OF WORCESTER
HIRING AND START DATE CONTINGENT UPON COVID-19 EMERGENCY
The Department of Public Works & Parks; Parks, Recreation and Cemetery Division is seeking to fill the Water Safety Instructor (WSI) position. Under the direct supervision of the Aquatic Director, this position is responsible for public safety and recreational work in supervising all water safety activities, including staff training, Learn to Swim Program, and Facility Swim Teams. This position involves responsibility for planning, coordinating, and supervising the work of lifeguards engaged in keeping watch at municipal beaches and pools to safeguard bathers and enforce safety rules and regulations. Work is performed under administrative direction in accordance with standard practices and procedures with review through reports and conferences. Supervision is exercised directly or through subordinates over a large staff of lifeguards and attendants.
The successful applicant will have the ability to instruct in swimming techniques, rescue methods, resuscitation, and first aid; ability to assist youth in emergencies; and the physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first-aid. The qualified applicant will have experience with recreational or competitive swimming; the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates and the general public; ability to work outside and operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying weather conditions; and the ability to perform daily routine maintenance of preservation recreation equipment; and the ability to pass CORI/SORI.
• Two (2) years of lifeguard experience
• Certification in American Red Cross, YMCA Lifeguard Training or equivalent
• Certification in American Red Cross First Aid or equivalent
• Certification in American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer or equivalent
• Valid MA Driver’s License
• Must be at least 16 years of age
• One (1) year experience as a Head Guard of a facility
• Certificate in American Red Cross Lifeguard Management or equivalent
• Certification as an American Red Cross-WSI or equivalent
• Experience working with youth programs
• Familiarity with American Red Cross Aquatic Programs
STARTING SALARY: $15.25 per hour, seasonal, non-benefitted
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment. Preference given to Worcester Residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall Human Resources, 508-799-1030, HR@Worcesterma.gov.