The City of Worcester is an EEO/AA Employer. Preference is given to Worcester residents.
HEAD GATE KEEPER (SEASONAL)
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS AND PARKS
CITY OF WORCESTER
HIRING AND START DATE CONTINGENT UPON COVID-19 EMERGENCY
The Head Gate Keeper works under the direct supervision of the Parks & Recreation Coordinator, Aquatics Director, Assistant Aquatics Director, and Head Life Guard. The Head Gate Keeper position duties involve general tasks within the City of Worcester Parks system. Responsible for the daily operations of the facility, supervision of staff, and safety of guest (park users) utilizing the facilities. Assist the public with matters of park usage, registers individuals and groups for outdoor park activities; and assists with park programs and maintenance of park displays. Assignments may include pool attendant, distribution of meals with the summer food program, assisting with summer special events within the City of Worcester and/or assigned to a site for the duration of the summer.
The successful candidate will have knowledge of routine cleaning, cleaning equipment, and of shower operation as required; knowledge of rules and regulations governing conduct of facility users; and excellent communication skills. The qualified candidate will have the ability to understand and follow verbal instructions; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with other personnel and the general public; ability to enforce facility rules and regulations firmly, tactfully and impartially; ability to record daily records; the ability to perform manual tasks requiring some physical exertion; ability to lift up to 50 pounds to a height of 48 inches; proven ability to maintain a safe environment for others and adherence to protocols and standards; the ability to work in a variety of weather conditions; and the ability to successfully pass CORI/SORI check.
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent
• Two (2) years in a supervisory capacity that demonstrates directing recreation programs, sports related activities, outdoor recreational programs, and/or previous gatekeeper experience
• Prior experience in a supervisory capacity that demonstrates enforcement of rules, regulations, or policies
• Previous work experience in the field of recreation, summer camp environment, aquatic and/or maintenance
• Previous work experience with daily record keeping
• Previous experience performing custodial work
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Basic computer skills including ability to work with Microsoft Office Word and Excel
• Willingness to work in variety of weather conditions
• American Red Cross First-Aid & CPR/AED Certification
• Familiarity and ability to operate canoes, paddleboats, and kayaks
• Previous experience with planning, organizing, and supervising large groups of individuals in an outdoor environment
SALARY: $14.25 per hour, seasonal, non-benefitted
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment. Preference given to Worcester Residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall Human Resources, 508-799-1030, HR@Worcesterma.gov.