Pet Emergency Supply & Traveling Kits
Keep an Evacuation Pet Supply Pack handy for your pets. Make sure that everyone in the family knows where it is. This kit should be clearly labeled and easy to cary. Items to consider keeping in or near your pack include:
- Pet first aid kit and guide book (ask your vet what to include).
- 3-7 days' worth of canned (pop-top) or dry food (be sure to rotate).
- Disposable litter trays.
- Litter or paper toweling.
- Liquid dish soap.
- Disposable garbage bags.
- Pet feeding dishes.
- Extra collar or harness.
- Extra leash.
- Photocopies of medical records and a waterproof container with two-week supply of any medicine your pet requires (remember, food and medications need to be rotated out).
- Bottled water, at least 7 days' worth for each person and pet (store in a cool, dry place).
- A traveling bag, crate or sturdy carrier, one for each pet.
- Blanket (for scooping up a fearful pet).
- Recent photos of your pets (in case you are separated and need to make "Lost" posters).
- Especially for cats: pillowcase, toys, scoopable litter.
- Especially for dogs: Extra leash, toys and chew toys, a week's worth of cage liner.
If you would like any further information on Disaster Preparedness for pets, please visit the ASPCA's Website.