Skip to content.
HomeE-ServicesCity GovernmentLiving & WorkingDoing Business
You Are Here: Home > E-Services > FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Be sure to view the entire list of Q & A's in the Motor Vehicle Excise category!

What if I sold my car?

If an excise bill is received for a vehicle or trailer which has been sold, the seller must return the plate(s) to the Registry of Motor Vehicles, get a return plate receipt and file an application for abatement together with the return plate receipt or new registration form and the bill of sale with the Assessing Division at (508) 799-1098. You can print out a Motor Vehicle Abatement application from this site. The bill will be adjusted to reflect the portion of the year when the vehicle was owned by the recipient of the bill. NOTE: It is important to remember that the bill for a vehicle you no longer own should not be ignored.

© 2017 | Copyright City of Worcester, MA | All Rights Reserved. | Login | Disclaimer | Site Map