Robert Antonelli, Jr.
Location: Park Avenue to Mill Street -
Size/Land Area: 20.79 Acres.
Ball Field? No.
Coes Pond Master Plan (6MB)
Total acreage of 20.79 acres incorporates five properties around Coes Reservoir (commonly referred to as Coes Pond), including the Coes Beach and Bathhouse, Coes Knife Dam, Columbus Park, the former Fenton Parcel and the former Knights of Columbus.
The area surrounding Coes Pond possesses several significant historical attributes. The former Coes Knife property is important in that mills owned and operated by Loring Coes and his brother Aury Gates Coes were constructed here in the late 1800's. The Coes brothers invented and manufactured the world famous monkey wrench and subsequently manufactured highly sophisticated and precisely engineered blades, knives and cheese cutters at this property.
Passing by Coes Pond and the former Coes Knife property along Mill Street is the Major Taylor Bike Trail. Named for Marshall Walter "Major" Taylor, an African-American with strong ties to Worcester, and winner of both the national and world bicycle spring racing championships in 1899.