The Board of Directors governs the library for the benefit of the community. It fulfills its responsibilities by:
- Employing a qualified head librarian and understanding the roles and responsibilities of the Board and the head librarian;
- Setting service-oriented library policies that uphold the principles of equal access to information and the free exchange of ideas;
- Overseeing the management and maintenance of the library's facilities and assets;
- Working to secure an appropriate funding level for facilities, technology, hours of operation, collections and staff;
- Knowing and observing applicable municipal, state and federal laws and regulations;
- Working with the community to identify information needs and to develop and implement a written plan for the maintenance and improvement of library services;
- Pursuing educational opportunities that expand skills necessary to be an effective Director.