For Immediate Release: 9/11/2020 4:45 pm
The City of Worcester has released the following COVID-19 update.
• To date, there have been 6,041 confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 in the City of Worcester, with an additional 140 cases since the last report.
Reporting Date New Cases Increase/Decrease from previous week
10-Sept 140 increase
3-Sept 98 increase
27-Aug 87 increase
19-Aug 69 decrease
13-Aug 70 decrease
5-Aug 97 increase
• This marks the third consecutive week of an increase in new positive cases.
• Positive case counts in surrounding towns: Shrewsbury: 382 (increase of 7); Holden: 149 (increase of 1); Grafton: 112 (no change); Leicester: 172 (increase of 1); Millbury: 284 (increase of 1). All changes are from Thursday, Sept. 3.
• UMass Memorial Health Care and Saint Vincent Hospital, as of Wednesday, Sept. 9, have a combined total of 21 COVID-positive in-patients (increase of 2) and 4 total COVID-positive ICU patients (decrease of 2). To date, the combined facilities have had 370 COVID-related deaths (increase of 2). A total of 411 employees have tested positive for the virus (increase of 6). All changes are from last week, Wednesday, Sept. 2.
• The City of Worcester continues to remind all residents to remain vigilant in guarding against the spread of the COVID-19 virus. This is also asked of college students as they gather on and off campus.
o Limit indoor gatherings to 25 or fewer people
o Limit outdoor gatherings to 50 or fewer people
o Wear masks/face coverings
o Maintain social distancing
• Free COVID-19 testing will be offered next week at the following locations (Flu shots are available with insurance):
o Great Brook Valley, 19 Tacoma St., Monday, Sept. 14, 12-4 p.m.
o Our Lady of Loreto Church, 33 Massasoit Road, Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2-6 p.m.
o Community Healthlink, 72 Jaques Ave., Thursday, Sept. 17, 1-5 p.m.
• Senior Center update: Number of seniors contacted to date: 18,358; Outreach phone calls made to seniors this week: 620; Number of meals delivered in Worcester this week: 5,833.
• For information about COVID-19, or to talk to a live nurse Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., call 508-799-1019. Information and links to resources may also be accessed at worcesterma.gov/coronavirus.