COVID-19 Update for May 23; 3,904 Positive Cases
For Immediate Release:
5/23/2020 2:37 pm
The City of Worcester has released the following COVID-19 update for May 23:
- There are 3,904 confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 in the City of Worcester. This is an increase of 58 cases from Friday, May 22.
- Since April 1, Worcester has seen an increase of 3,724 new cases (average of 70 new cases per day).
- Positive case counts in surrounding towns: Shrewsbury: 265; Holden: 72; Grafton: 79; Leicester: 126. (Millbury: 208 as of Friday, May 22)
- All combined medical facilities of Saint Vincent Hospital and UMass Memorial Health Care had 200 (decrease of 10 from Friday) total COVID-positive in-patients and 81 (decrease of 1 from Friday) total COVID-positive ICU patients today. To date, their facilities have had 243 (increase of 2 from Friday) total COVID-related deaths. A total of 310 (increase of 4 from Friday) of their employees have tested positive for the virus.
- Beaumont Rehabilitation census: 65 in-patients; Total of 175 treated; 82 beds available.
- North High homeless shelter census: 30 clients (COVID-19 negative).
- The next City of Worcester COVID-19 media briefing will be held Tuesday, May 26 at 4:30 p.m. on the third floor of City Hall. Going forward, media briefings will be held each Tuesday and Thursday only. The City will provide updated numbers on COVID-19 cases on days where there is not a media briefing.